Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to build a command into a string rather than execute the command Post 302200671 by littlejon on Thursday 29th of May 2008 07:31:45 PM
Old 05-29-2008
How to build a command into a string rather than execute the command

I'm trying to populate a command line into a variable. It appears to be executing, instead. Here's an example:

mycmd=''
if ...; then
$mycmd='sudo '
fi
$mycmd=$mycmd 'sed -i prev s/aaa/bbb/' $myfile
res=`$mycmd`

(I'm also not sure of the best way to execute the command from the variable, either, so any corrections would be appreciated!)

Last edited by littlejon; 05-29-2008 at 08:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plz Help : How to use write command to execute command on some other terminal

Hi Group , I m trying to execute commands on some other system using write command but inspite of executing the commands they r passed as simple messages. - i m writing >write user-id ! ls o ctrl-d inspite of executing the command ls,other terminal shows ! ls. Thnx in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aashish
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to? launch command with string of command line options

my description from another thread... here's my code: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' function OutputName() { input=$1 echo $input input=`echo "$input" | sed -e 's/.//'` input=`echo "$input".avi` output_name=$input } if ]; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help: Build a sed command and execute it in a script

I am using an array to store some data (keys e.g 47975081_1215781266128), it can be assumed that it is key to other data. I want extract data from a file based on a couple of keys (range) and store the resulting data in a variable using the following command: sed -n... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command to build menu

Hello everyone. I am using the select command to build a menu, here is my question: Is it possible to generate a menu which contains several sections and have a separator between the sections without having a selection number generated in front of the separator? This is a sample of what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to build a command in a script

Hi All I am trying to build a script that will take data from a tab separated file and use that to split up a quicktime file. So far the code is as follows #!/bin/sh #test parsing of data #fix excel file output returns cat $1 | tr "\r" "\n" > $1.fix printf "\n" >> $1.fix mv $1.fix $1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babajuma
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute command stored in a string

Hi, Here's the problem I am facing. This is just an example: list_files.ksh ------------ dir=$1 match=$2 var="ls $dir | grep $match" files=`"$var"` I get the below error on executing the above script: ./list_files.ksh: ls /home/my_files | grep xml: not found I know I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a command on each line of output from another command?

Hello :) new to bash not to programming. I have an on-going need to change the owning group on sets of files and directories from the one they were created with or changed to on update to the one they need to have going forward. find {target_root} -group wrong_group gets me a newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naftali
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
builtin(1)							   User Commands							builtin(1)

NAME
builtin - ksh93 built-in function to add, delete, or display shell built-ins SYNOPSIS
builtin [-ds] [-f lib] [pathname ...] DESCRIPTION
The ksh93 builtin command adds, deletes, or displays built-in commands in the current shell environment. A built-in command executes in the current shell process and can have side effects in the current shell. On most systems, the invocation time for built-in commands is one or two orders of magnitude less than commands that create a separate process. For each pathname specified, the basename of the pathname determines the name of the built-in. For each basename, the shell looks for a C level function in the current shell whose name is determined by pre-pending b_ to the built-in name. If pathname contains a forward slash (/), the built-in is bound to pathname. A built-in bound to a pathname is only executed if pathname is the first executable found during a path search. Otherwise, built-ins are found prior to performing the path search. If pathname is not specified, builtin displays the current list of built-ins, or just the special built-ins if the -s option is specified, on standard output. The full pathname for built-ins that are bound to pathnames are displayed. Libraries containing built-ins can be specified with the -f option. If the library contains a function named lib_init(), this function is invoked with argument 0 when the library is loaded. The lib_init() function can load built-ins by invoking an appropriate C level function. In this case there is no restriction on the C level function name. The C level function is invoked with three arguments. The first two are the same as main() and the third one is a pointer. The ksh93 builtin command cannot be invoked from a restricted shell. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Delete each of the specified built-ins. Special built-ins cannot be deleted. -f lib On systems with dynamic linking, load and search for built-ins in the shared library, lib. Libraries are searched for in $PATH and system dependent library directories. The system dependent shared library prefix or suf- fix can be omitted. Once a library is loaded, its symbols become available for the current and subsequent invocations of builtin. Multiple libraries can be specified with separate invocations of builtin. Libraries are searched in the reverse order in which they are specified. -s Display only the special built-ins. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pathname Specifies the pathname. The basename of the pathname determines the name of the built-in. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Loading a builtin Command The following example loads a builtin command mycmd from the library libfoo.so: example% builtin -f foo mycmd AUTHORS
David Korn, dgk@research.att.com ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), whence(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2007 builtin(1)