Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep usage help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep usage help Post 302200615 by robotronic on Thursday 29th of May 2008 02:32:15 PM
Old 05-29-2008
Are you using Windows Services for UNIX?

I've used them in the past and I remember I had your same issue... Don't remember if it was something related to single/double quotes escaping or curly braces... Try escaping them with a backslash or playing around with quoting... Or try another approach:

Code:
cut -f2 -d ';' input_file.txt | cut -f2 -d '"'

...or try a real linux emulation like cygwin, which is better.

EDIT: paying more attention to the error returned, now I seem to remember that awk on windows does not like single quotes around the awk script: you must always use double quotes, and escape all the double quotes that now are surrounded by single quotes, like ripat did in the post before. Try something like this:

Code:
awk -F"\";\"" "{ print $2 }" input_file.txt

Last edited by robotronic; 05-29-2008 at 03:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep Vs CPU usage

Hi, I have one basic doubt, that using grep command frequently , will it have direct impact on the CPU load, pls clarify for eg, if i run a non stop script containing while loop to grep some parameters, what will be the load in CPU.. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep usage

grep can filter the text which want to display, but if I want it do not show the text specific in grep, how to do? thk a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Usage

Hello, I am trying to use grep to locate multiple uses of the same word in the same line. The word has to be 3+ char, upper or lower or both. I tried this code <code> grep \({3,}\)*\1 i* </code> and i turned out zero results. Any ideas? ____________________________________________... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega1589
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep usage

my file contains xxabced.p dlksfad; dflsdkjflkds flksdjflkdioewf erfsdlkfjsdla; dlkfjsd;lfkj msgdadf.p dslk kdjflksdjfl;asdfasdfjkljl fdsf;jd ppuskldf.p i want the output is xxabced.p msgdadf.p ppuskldf.p Can any one give the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems in Usage of grep

Hi all, I have a file resp_cde.ats which has values as:- APPDIR=C:\Program Files\Cogny\cert PUBSDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\documentation TOURDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\tour DATADIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\data Now I use the grep command in a shell script:- x=`grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasrout
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command usage

what is the grep command to get the second occurence of pattern in a file or how to do with sed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

grep usage help?

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to find all the files where the function sequentialInsert is called and the directory is ~cs252/Assignments/commandsAsst/project 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennkat
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of grep '^$1' filename

There is a file name list_filenames.dat, this has all the list of all files I need to encrypt, I did not understand what the following syntax is doing: grep -s "^$1" list_filenames.dat, when I manually run this command it just returns all the lines, what is the usage of this ? can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
4 Replies
OPENPAM_READWORD(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				       OPENPAM_READWORD(3)

NAME
openpam_readword -- read a word from a file, respecting shell quoting rules LIBRARY
Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <security/pam_appl.h> #include <security/openpam.h> char * openpam_readword(FILE *f, int *lineno, size_t *lenp); DESCRIPTION
The openpam_readword() function reads the next word from a file, and returns it in a NUL-terminated buffer allocated with malloc(3). A word is a sequence of non-whitespace characters. However, whitespace characters can be included in a word if quoted or escaped according to the following rules: o An unescaped single or double quote introduces a quoted string, which ends when the same quote character is encountered a second time. The quotes themselves are stripped. o Within a single- or double-quoted string, all whitespace characters, including the newline character, are preserved as-is. o Outside a quoted string, a backslash escapes the next character, which is preserved as-is, unless that character is a newline, in which case it is discarded and reading continues at the beginning of the next line as if the backslash and newline had not been there. In all cases, the backslash itself is discarded. o Within a single-quoted string, double quotes and backslashes are preserved as-is. o Within a double-quoted string, a single quote is preserved as-is, and a backslash is preserved as-is unless used to escape a double quote. In addition, if the first non-whitespace character on the line is a hash character (#), the rest of the line is discarded. If a hash charac- ter occurs within a word, however, it is preserved as-is. A backslash at the end of a comment does cause line continuation. If lineno is not NULL, the integer variable it points to is incremented every time a quoted or escaped newline character is read. If lenp is not NULL, the length of the word (after quotes and backslashes have been removed) is stored in the variable it points to. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the openpam_readword() function returns a pointer to a dynamically allocated NUL-terminated string containing the first word encountered on the line. The caller is responsible for releasing the returned buffer by passing it to free(3). If openpam_readword() reaches the end of the line or file before any characters are copied to the word, it returns NULL. In the former case, the newline is pushed back to the file. If openpam_readword() reaches the end of the file while a quote or backslash escape is in effect, it sets errno to EINVAL and returns NULL. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The parsing rules are intended to be equivalent to the normal POSIX shell quoting rules. Any discrepancy is a bug and should be reported to the author along with sample input that can be used to reproduce the error. SEE ALSO
openpam_readline(3), openpam_readlinev(3), pam(3) STANDARDS
The openpam_readword() function is an OpenPAM extension. AUTHORS
The openpam_readword() function and this manual page were developed by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@des.no>. BSD
September 12, 2014 BSD