Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't make 'set DISPLAY' to work Post 302200494 by spufi on Thursday 29th of May 2008 09:49:54 AM
Old 05-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seg
Forgive my morbid curiosity but why are you using Xwindows?
Seconded. If you have a putty ssh-session open, why bother pushing a dtterm/xterm/whatever term anyway? Putty does exactly the same - and a lot more - than any standard term?

Anyway, Putty isn't an X server: you need a combination of an x11-forwarding capable ssh client (like putty) combined with a win32 X server (like as Grippo mentionned Exceed) to be able to get "graphical" stuff from your unix box displayed locally. Thus to conclude, without an X server, it's impossible to get xterm to run on your desktop.

Cygwin also contains an X server (xfree86 iirc) btw, so that might be an option for you? (although in that case the thing about why push a remote console if you have a local xterm/terminal anyway)

Last edited by spufi; 05-29-2008 at 11:09 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make sccs work

I am trying to use SCCS for project development . Can any one list out the basic setup nneded to be done for SCCS . I mean if I create a SCCS directory what all files to create on this . i don't have a root password of the system and I am not going to get one . I saw few post on this forum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akrathi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup--how to make it work?

Hello gurus, I am facing an unusual problem while running nohup in shell scripts. i want to run two scripts simultaneously.In first script ,i take a backup of "nohup.out" & remove it .In second script,i state "nohup ./scriptname" but "nohup.out" is not getting generated ?? pls find attached... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make my command work at all times

hi all, This is a very basic question. I want to make the command work at all times. i'm working on Suse-Linux and "clear" command is used to clear the contents of screen. I want to use only "cls" instead of "clear" command. i tried alias cls=clear , but its working only for a temporary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxwidgets
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make this work

Dear All, I want acces my folder that name Log , that throught /export/home/hmi/bin/log. I want direct to Log folder. When I try using alias, i'm login as root: >alias logfile='cd /export/home/hmi/bin/Log' and when I execute > logfile this is work, but after I logout and login again as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heru_90
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how does set--$(ls -l filename) work?

i'm not too sure how to use set--$(ls -l filename) to set values of positional parameters. i'm supposed to write a script that accepts a directory as an optional command line parameter. and for that directory, i'm supposed to display a single line of information about each file within it: file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaay
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make this work

hi, I have been trying to make my script work but could not, tried some of the suggestions from here but I am not getting the correct result. I have a script that was Param1 ="$1" Param2 ="$2" $Script1 log -t "$param1" "$param2" | grep operation > /dev/null || { echo "Message"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rider29
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display that will work with OSF?

I have an Alpha 200 4/166 running Unix/OSF, whose display died. Any idea how I can find a display that has a driver that will work with this system? I tried bringing it up with the display, an HP Pavilion MX703, I use with some Windows systems, and I could see the boot dialog, but then it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarenAnne
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot make sudoers change work

I logged in as root and visudo'd /etc/sudoers. I found several users with the username ALL=(ALL) ALL entries and added an account after the last one. Saved the file. When the user logs in and does "sudo su -" they are prompted for their password and then told they are not in the sudoers file.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpm_on_lnx
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't make chmod work

Can someone please help me with this I can't make it work? find /test -type f \( ! -perm -u+w -o -perm -g+w \) | egrep -v "/test/A|/test/B"|xargs chmod u+rw,g+r-w,o= I am getting error "Operation not permitted." I want to find files, exclude directory A & B and change permission on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jang
2 Replies
PEV(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PEV(1)

NAME
pev - show information about MS-Windows excutables files SYNOPSIS
pev [OPTION]... file DESCRIPTION
Make an analysis and show useful information of PE32/PE32+ file given. OPTIONS
-A, --all Equivalent to -cdhoprs. This is the default action if none is specified. -c, --coff Show the COFF file header. -d, --dos Show the DOS file header. -h, --help Show usage and exit. -o, --optional Show the Optional (a.k.a. PE) file header. -p, --product-version Show the Product Version (if added by programmer/compiler) of PE file. -r, --resources Show first level resource items information. -s, --sections Show information about executable sections. -v, --version Show version and exit. EXAMPLES
To get only the Product Version of putty.exe file: $ pev -p putty.exe To show DOS and COFF file headers of cards.dll: $ pev -dc cards.dll Display all possible information about svchost.exe file: $ pev svchost.exe AUTHOR
Written by Coding 40o group REPORTING BUGS
Report pev bugs at http://sourceforge.net/p/pev/tickets/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010-2011 Coding 40o. Licensed GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. PEV(1)