Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers checking the status of file ftp Post 302200385 by shafi2all on Thursday 29th of May 2008 05:56:38 AM
Old 05-29-2008
This might work, try out this way,

ftp -n $FTP_HOST <<END_SCRIPT
user $FTP_USER $FTP_PASSWD
lcd $TEMPFOLDER
cd $FTP_LOCATION
put $1
bye
END_SCRIPT
exit_status=$?
if [ "$exit_status" -eq "0" ] ; then
log "successfully FTPed the file"
else
log "Failed to FTP the report file"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file status during FTP

Help!!!! Can Anyone out there help me? I need to write a script to automate a task to translate files. The files will be transfered through ftp to the workstation. Is there a way to check the file status whether the file has finished being transfered or still transfering. Or is there a way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sean76
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Exit Status

I hope one of you smart people out there can help me with what seems like a real simple questing but I can't quite figure out. In a script I am doing a cmp on two files. I am trying to check the exit status with an if statement but can't seem to figure out the syntax. If the exit status is 1 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrimeRibAndADew
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp a file after checking the versions not greater then 8 in archive directory

Hi , I want to write a FTP Script which checks the No of Vesions of the files in Archive Dir and if count >= 8 Delete the oldest file from the Archive Dir and if the count is <= 8 Move the file to the Archive Dir with a CurrentDate concatenation and FTP the file to the FTP directory and send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kailash.jadhav
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the size of a file after FTP

Hi I am doing a FTP process through which I am copying a file from my local server to Remote server. After this I want to check the size of the file Below is my program: LOCALDIR=/batch/ediprocess REMOTESERVER=test.appl.com REMOTEPATH=batch/ftpTest LOGIN=px PASSWORD=abcd ftp -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanth_chandra
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the status of mail sent.

Hi, Is there any way to check the status of the mail sent or not.e.g mail -s "Error Message" abc@xyz.com <aaa/bbb/data.txt Can it return a status code which will confirm the delivery of mail sent?Please suggest. Thanks, Anil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil029
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the status of sendmail

Hi All, I like to check the status of sendmail and take the appropriate action based on success / failure etc. I have gone through one of the thread where a suggestion is made to use RC for return code Following is the code: ================================== #!/usr/bin/bash export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmanda
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory status

Can I use -ctime/-mtime to verify if a particular directory has been updated or not? I don't care about number of days. I just want to perform some operations only if the folder is modified (or it's metadata is modified), i.e. some files are added to the directory. This thread has a more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pramit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking FTP server file exist or not

I am trying to delete old file in ftp server, after transferring new file successfully . but here i am checking both the file available or not using ls command. if both the file available means i need to get file_new and file_old file size as greater than zero. but i am getting only for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elango963
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP commands to check the file status

Hi Experts, Can some one let me know the FTP commands to check the file status i.e i want to check whether my files are locked or in open status. I am connecting FTP from local machine. Regards, Spidy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spidy
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
SIMPLEFTP(1)						    InterNetNews Documentation						      SIMPLEFTP(1)

NAME
simpleftp - Rudimentary FTP client SYNOPSIS
simpleftp url [...] DESCRIPTION
simpleftp is a Perl script that provides basic support for fetching files with FTP in a batch oriented fashion. It takes one or more FTP URLs on the command line. The file(s) will be retrieved from the remote server and placed in the current directory with the same basename as on the remote; e.g., <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active.gz> is stored as active.gz in the current directory. The script properly understands usernames, passwords and ports specified as follows: ftp://user:password@host:port/path/file BUGS
simpleftp is an extremely poor substitute for more complete programs like the freely available wget or ncftp utilities. It was written only to provide elementary support in INN for non-interactive fetching of the files in <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/pgpcontrol/> or <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/> without requiring administrators to install yet another package. Its shortcomings as a general purpose program are too numerous to mention, but one that stands out is that downloaded files by simpleftp override existing files with the same name in the local directory. HISTORY
Tossed off by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Rewritten to use "Net::FTP" by Julien Elie. $Id: simpleftp.pod 8357 2009-02-27 17:56:00Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
actsync(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 SIMPLEFTP(1)