Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Unix not Booting after defect HDD Post 302200372 by severt on Thursday 29th of May 2008 04:59:11 AM
Old 05-29-2008
Unix not Booting after defect HDD

Hi there,

Here I have an old HP LC3 server from a client of ours.
The server was running in Raid1 Mirror mode.
Yesterday the server didn't boot anymore and now
I have concluded that 1 drive is damaged.
I pulled it out so it can boot from the "good" one.
Unfortuanally this didn't work.

I see the Bios postings as it should and when normally
the OS is going to be started there is a blinking cursor
in the left upper corner.
There it blinks for 1 mintue or so and reboot.

To be honest, I don't know what kind of Unix version is running here
but to my client it's very important to get his data back.

All help is much appreciated and thanks already!

Regards,

Dennis

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO UNIX HDD full backup

HI ALL, I need to backup HDD with SCO UNIX. I need to have a full functionaly backup of this hard disk. Does anybody have any tool or subsription how to do it. I tried some SW, but after when I tried to use this copy of my original disk "can not find a root directory". Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jardas
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix not recognising new HDD

I've just replaced the secondary disk drive (was 4 Gb) with a Seagate Barracuda 7200 200 Gb. However the OS seems to think this is only 500 Mb and a spin speed of 5400, although it correct recognises the drive as Seagate ST3200822A. I take it that it still thinks the old drive is attached. How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggiesworld
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make a copy of a unix HDD

i have this HDD with SCO 5.0.6 and i'm getting this errors WARNING: wd0: Error on fixed disk dev 1/42, block=4829, cmd=0x000000C8 Sun Mar 11 05:50:08 2007 status=0x00000040, LBA sector=1285723, cylinder/head=5022/0 WARNING: wd0: Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

4. Solaris

problem while booting from hdd

hello gurus, i have just installed the os on hdd, when i write down boot command on ok prompt, I get following error continuously. what could be the possible problem WARNING: /ssm@0,0/pci@18,600000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd0): auto request sense failed (reason=reset) WARNING:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameergrover
2 Replies

5. BSD

OpenBSD downgrades HDD transfer mode, I want to upgrade it WITHOUT BOOTING

Hi, I have a crappy hard disk and am trying to back up stuff from it onto my newer hopefully less crappy disk. There are dead sectors on the disk and some files can't be read (at all) so OpenBSD downgrades the transfer mode down until PIO mode 4. I noticed the transfer speed slowing down... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiori_musicali
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

7. Solaris

NTFS HDD readable from UNIX

I have somehow taken on the collateral duties of System Administrator for our small internal network. At current we have one main file server with 48 SATA swappable drives under the Solaris 10 OS. My question is this. Our analysts are bringing back data from the field in Windows formatted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbrowne20
8 Replies

8. Programming

Mixed enum types - coverity defect

Hi All, I came across this error "MIXING ENUM TYPES" when I run my C program against the Coverity Tool. I've made many search relating to the error, but I didnt find the exact solution. Can anyone help me to overcome this.? Thanks in Advance.!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parameswaran
3 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
info(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   info(4)

NAME
info - diskless client configuration information file DESCRIPTION
The file is a POSIX shell sourceable file which contains parameter definitions used at boot time. Typically, it will be an empty file and default values will be used for all parameters. Following is the list of parameters which can be defined in the file: Specifies the IP address of the client's private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root server defaults to the boot server. Specifies the pathname to the client's private root on the private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root path defaults to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's private root from the private root server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's directory from the boot server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies whether NFS should be configured as primary swap. (NOTE: In order to swap to NFS, a diskless kernel must be configured with tunable parameter set to 1.) If a diskless machine has a local swap disk and swap to NFS is not desired, the parameter should be set to the value of 1 and the diskless kernel should be configured without setting to 1. If this parameter is not specified in the file and the kernel tunable parameter is set to 1, then NFS will be configured as primary swap. If not set, this parameter defaults to a value of 1, and results in the removal of all swapfiles above the configured swap minimum (swap is specified in the client's when a disk- less client boots. This ensures that extraneous swapfiles at boot time are removed, thus freeing disk space. If is set to 0 in the file, removal of extra swapfiles is disabled. This may result in faster boot times due to the time savings in creating additional swap files. The file resides in the same directory as the client's kernel () on the boot server and is retrieved at boot time using command. By default, when a diskless client is created, an empty file is placed in the client's kernel directory. This ensures that all parameters revert to their default values (see above). If the file is not present, this is an error. EXAMPLES
An example file is shown below: FILES
info(4)