Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: arithmetic in tcsh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting arithmetic in tcsh Post 302200221 by Perderabo on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 08:56:10 PM
Old 05-28-2008
Like this...but first an easier way to do your awk script....

Code:
$ cat data
bc misstep (hi)............34
bc misstep (hello)..2
bc misstep (bye)......0
$ awk -F. '{print $NF}' data
$
$
$
$ awk -F. '{sum=sum+$NF}END{print sum}' data
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic In UNIX

I am a beginner and I have been searching the web all morning for this answer but can't find it anywhere. I know that prtint 1*2 will return 1*2 what if i actually want the problem to be calculated so i want print 1*2 to return 2 How is this done? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tygun
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in ksh

Helloo.. I am trying one very simple thing I could not find anything on google.. I have 2 integer variable..and I need to do division...in ksh where $catch and $num are integer variable.. I tryed with this: printf "%0.2f" $final=$catch/$num but it does not work.. any help is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use wc -l with arithmetic expression?

Folks, I am wondering that i can use something like this in one line. For example, $((cat filename > wc -l) / 2) It doesn't work; how to get it work using command substitution? Moreover, is there any option for wc -l not to return filename after the line counts? wc -l filename would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic Operators

Hello, I have a list of 'inputs' and i want to convert those on the second list named 'Desired Outputs', but i don't know how to do it? Inputs Desired Outputs 1 2 94 4 276 8 369 10 464 12 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filda
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Arithmetic ?

Hello Experts, In my shell I need to perform some simple subtraction on a value returned as a result of the "wc" command. The code: scanFromLine="100" ## This is returned as string as a result of some operation totalLines=`wc -l "${latestLogFile}" | awk '{print $1}'` ## eg: 200 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)