Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root - "Account is disabled"
Operating Systems HP-UX root - "Account is disabled" Post 302200126 by vbe on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 01:17:39 PM
Old 05-28-2008
What system is it?
For a start - Is it a server? and do you have a real console connected to it?
In which case if you know the password but the root account is locked then you can unlock by logging in to the console as root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Root account disabled and unable to access console

Hi, hope someone could help me here: Our root account was disabled on our production server this morning and usually we would login at the console to re-enable the account. However we are unable to get a login prompt at the console. The console displays the 8 options along the bottom and a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AaronC
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. AIX

"Backup to pool 'default' waiting for 1 writable tape" when autostart disabled ?

This morning I started receiving an alert saying "Legato Storage Manager media (waiting) backup to pool 'Default' waiting for 1 writable tape" but when I go check the status of the Legato autostart, its disabled. So why is it asking a tape ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot su to "root" : Account has expired.

I rolled out sudo (1.7.2p7) to my AIX system (6100-06-01-1043) some time ago. Because I was using "sudo su -" I did not update my root password before it expired as a result of maxexpire. Now I find that the root account has expired and I cannot find any way of "unexpiring" it. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrababa
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Could interrupt disabled cause "opreport error: No sample file found"?

Hi All I would like to profile my application with oprofile but I can't since no samples are collected. The kernel of my app is 2.6 on RED HAT Enterprise 5.3 (Tikanga) so OProfile is setup in timer interrupt mode # opcontrol --list-events Using timer interrupt. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
0 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
VLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							  VLOCK(1)

NAME
vlock - Virtual Console lock program SYNOPSIS
vlock vlock [ -a,--all ] [ -c,--current ] [ -h,--help ] [ -v,--version ] DESCRIPTION
vlock is a program to lock one or more sessions on the Linux console. This is especially useful for Linux machines which have multiple users with access to the console. One user may lock his or her session(s) while still allowing other users to use the system on other vir- tual consoles. If desired, the entire console may be locked and virtual console switching disabled. By default, only the current VC (virtual console) is locked. With the -a,-all option all VCs are locked. The locked VCs cannot be unlocked without the invoker's password or the root password. The root password will always be able to unlock any or all sessions. And, for the paranoid, vlock makes it a trying experience for those attempting to guess the password, so unauthorized access to session(s) is highly unlikely. Please note that it is entirely possible to completely lock yourself out of the console with the -a,--all option if you cannot remember your password! Unless you are able to kill vlock by logging in remotely via a serial terminal or network, a hard reset is the only method of ``unlocking'' the display. vlock works for console sessions primarily. However, there is support for trying to lock non-console sessions as well, but that support has not been well tested. OPTIONS
-a,--all Lock all console sessions and disable VC switching. -c,--current Lock the current session (this is the default). -h,--help Print a brief help message. -v,--version Print the version number of vlock. AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Linux User's Manual 16 May 1996 VLOCK(1)