Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gzip a directory (URGENT)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting gzip a directory (URGENT) Post 302200071 by rvegmond on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 10:18:15 AM
Old 05-28-2008
man gzip will give you the answer.
sorry, It does not, it gives a different answer than what you are looking for..

I think you should use it in combination with tar..

Last edited by rvegmond; 05-28-2008 at 11:31 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching files in a directory.Urgent

Hi everyone, I need to search files starting with RPT_0, RPT_1,........ in a directory. How can I implement that through a shell script. Also I want to read the last line of each file after searching them. Can someone help me out in this regard. One more thing how I can extract a particular... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent!!!Read directory from a file

I have a receive script file which had lots of direcorties to process,but now,I don't want to hardcode them,I need input the directory name in a Property.txt file,then write shell code to read the directory name from Property.txt to the script file so I can get flexible on it.But when I ran the sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip all the files in a directory

Hi, There are multiple files in a directory with different names.How can they be gzipped such that the timestamp of the files is not changed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompress directory using Gzip

Hey there... Just has a query. I have been trying to zip and unzip a directory. I used gzip -c -r <directory> to recursively search the directory and zip it Now is want to unzip the directory, by gunzip -r <filename>.gz The problem is that the unzip creates on file with the contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinxor
1 Replies

5. AIX

GZIP ERROR! -- Plesae help! -- Urgent

I have two huge files on AIX Ver 5.0. File size of each file is 6238884375 bytes. There is huge difference in sizes when I zip them by gzip coomand. File1.gz 586147513 File2.gz 547585695 Any idea why it is so? Thanks Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip files inside directory

Hello folks I hope every one is fine. I need to ask one question. I have directory /xx/abcd/data/ inside that data there are files like 11.txt 23.txt 12.txt *.txt i want that i will do compress each txt file inside that directory /xx/abcd/data/. But it will not gzip data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retain "directory" timestamp when using gzip?

Hello All, I am trying to gzip a directory contents with the option "-r". The file timestamps remaining same but not the directory, how to retain it too. ex: $ ls -l 20090624065000 total 1213360 -rwxrwxrwx 1 cisa users 529513119 Jun 24 2009 A -rwxrwxrwx 1 cisa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help creating gzip of directory files via cron

**BTW- very new to scripting** I have created a shell script to gzip the public_html files on our website. I have tested this script on another directory on our site and it worked, but when I replaced the directory with the public_html directory it failed. I am executing this script via a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alblue
7 Replies
FAXANSWER(8C)															     FAXANSWER(8C)

NAME
faxanswer - tell a HylaFAX server to answer the telephone SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxanswer [ -q queue-dir ] [ -h how ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxanswer sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8C) process servicing modem telling it to answer the telephone. This is useful, for example, when a modem is used on a shared phone line and the server is configured to not normally answer the phone. The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. OPTIONS
-q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/fax. -h Specify exactly how the phone should be answered. By default, the server process is instructed to answer the phone and accept any kind of call (voice, data, fax). Discrimination of the type of call is dependent on a modem's adaptive-answer support. The -h option can be used to force the server to answer the phone for particular type of call: one of fax, data, voice, any, extern (to force faxgetty to invoke an external application to to handle the call), or dialX (where X is a dialstring to dial before initiating a fax reception). If using dialX, the specified dialstring will likely need to end with a semicolon (``;''). FILES
/var/spool/fax default spooling area /var/spool/fax/FIFO fifo for contacting faxq Consult hylafax-server(5F) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5F), faxgetty(8C) May 23, 1996 FAXANSWER(8C)