Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If file not exist create a new one Post 302199938 by nua7 on Wednesday 28th of May 2008 06:38:00 AM
Old 05-28-2008
What did you try so far..??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check if the file exist or not?

say i would like to check if the file is existed before i use rm command. How can i do it? i know if i can use find, but i would like to have a good interface (in a shell script) thks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a shell script check for a file to exist before processing another file

I have a shell script that runs all the time looking for a certain type of file and then it processes the file through a series of other scripts. The script is watching a directory that has files uploaded to it via SFTP. It already checks the size of the file to make sure that it is not still... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check whether a directory is exist and if it is not, create it

Hi, I want to write a shell script to check whether a directory (say A) is existing in a given location and if it is not, create it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check whether list file present in TXT file exist or not

Hi All, I have txt file which has list of files. I have to check whether these files exist or not. Thanks supriya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any options with "cp" to create a folder if it doesn't exist.

I've created a backup and restore script and it's working fine so it's all about making it more robust at the moment for me. Let's say the user has a folder in their home directory for word processing files called "wp". I want to copy the files I made a backup of from this directory back into it.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all.

I have a list of fields that I want to check a file for, returning that field if it not found at all in the file. Is there a way to do a grep -lc and return the passed variable too rather then just the count? I am doing some crappy work-around now but I was not sure how to regrep this for :0 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
3 Replies

8. Linux

Create a dummy file even if the path is not exist

hi, i want to create a dummy file even if the path to that file is not exist as follows. suppose, in my working directory 2 files are there. and i create one more file which is exist as follows # pwd /home/satya # ls file1.txt file2.txt # echo dummy > /home/satya/file3.txt # ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies
FLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock -- Provide locking API for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-dnosvx] [-w timeout] lockfile|lockdir [-c command] | [command ...] flock [-dnsuvx] [-w timeout] lockfd DESCRIPTION
The flock utility provides flock(2) access to the command line or scripts. The first form locks a file or directory while the command pro- vided is executed. If the file or directory does not exist, then a file is created. The second form can use an arbitrary file descriptor that is provided from a shell script for example: ( flock -s 100 # commands to be executed under the lock ) 100> /path/to/lockfile The following options are available: -c command Pass a command to a the shell. -d, --debug Provide debugging output. -n, --nb, --nonblock Don't block and fail immediately if the lock could not be obtained. -o, --close Close the file before executing the command. This is useful if the child forks and should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock. -u, --unlock Unlock an existing lock. This is available only for a file descriptor. -v, --verbose On error print an explanation of the failure. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock could not be obtained after seconds. -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock. EXIT STATUS
The flock utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
shlock(1), flock(2) HISTORY
An flock utility appeared in NetBSD 6.1. BSD
November 2, 2012 BSD