Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename log file according to log file age Post 302199567 by Yogesh Sawant on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 07:45:13 AM
Old 05-27-2008
if you have the stat command, this is how you can get the time of last modification of a file:
Code:
stat -c '%y' test.pl

Code:
stat -c '%Y' test.pl

you can compare this time with current time to determine if the file is 10 days old

from the stat manual:
Code:
       %X     Time of last access as seconds since Epoch

%x     Time of last access

%Y     Time of last modification as seconds since Epoch

%y     Time of last modification

%Z     Time of last change as seconds since Epoch

%z     Time of last change

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file age

How can I count the age of the file (e.g. in minutes)? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jarmo.leppanen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a log file to old, then create a new log file.

Hi all, I have about 15 directories all with exactly the same structure. I have a file in each of them called log.txt. This file sits in /home/ftp/*usernamehere*/ftptransfer/log/ Username here is the only change in each of the 15 directories. I want to create a SIMPLE shell script that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log file entries based on the Date/Timestamp within log file

If a log file is in the following format 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 29-Jul-10 ::: Log message 30-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 :::... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture all error message in Log file and send the Log file by email

Hi I have a requirement to write a script to capture all errors in a Logfile and send the file in email. If there is any error occurred the subject of email will be ERROR , If there are no error occurred the subject of email will be SUCCESS. So I created a Log file and put the Appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl's buffered I/O is causing me to miss latest log file entries in log colorizer. How to fix?

I've been finding myself using a log file colorizer written in perl to reformat and colorize the output from many different programs. Mainly, however, I use it to make the output from "tail -f" commands more readable. The base perl script I use is based on "colorlogs.pl" available from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcsteiner
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check log file size every 10 minute. Alert if log not update

How to check log size every 10min. by script (can use crontab) if log size not change with alert "Log not update" Base run on SunOS 5.8 Generic_Virtual sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise logFiles="log1.log log2.log" logLocation="/usr/home/test/log/" Out put. Tue Jan 31... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the Linux log file to the rotation date

Hi all, could any provide me a solution for the below requirement. I have two files namely abc.log.1 and abc.log.2 The above files have time stamp as Dec 08 and Dec 09 I need to rename the files as abc.log.1_20141208 and abc.log.2_20141209 and move to another bkp directory. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar t
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Age of file

Hi All.. Is there any easy way to find out how many days older is file? for ex. fileA 20 days fileB 10 days I am currently on AIX, and there is no STAT command available in this environment. What are my options? Thanks Abhijeet R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freakabhi
1 Replies

10. Web Development

How to log http 404 error to a separate log file?

Apache Web Server: how to log http 404 error to a separate log file and i do not want to log in access.log please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies
STAT(1) 								FSF								   STAT(1)

NAME
stat - display file or filesystem status SYNOPSIS
stat [OPTION] FILE... DESCRIPTION
Display file or filesystem status. -f, --filesystem display filesystem status instead of file status -c --format=FORMAT use the specified FORMAT instead of the default -L, --dereference follow links -t, --terse print the information in terse form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The valid format sequences for files (without --filesystem): %A - Access rights in human readable form %a - Access rights in octal %b - Number of blocks allocated %D - Device number in hex %d - Device number in decimal %F - File type %f - raw mode in hex %G - Group name of owner %g - Group ID of owner %h - Number of hard links %i - Inode number %N - Quoted File name with dereference if symbolic link %n - File name %o - IO block size %s - Total size, in bytes %T - Minor device type in hex %t - Major device type in hex %U - User name of owner %u - User ID of owner %X - Time of last access as seconds since Epoch %x - Time of last access %Y - Time of last modification as seconds since Epoch %y - Time of last modi- fication %Z - Time of last change as seconds since Epoch %z - Time of last change Valid format sequences for file systems: %a - Free blocks available to non-superuser %b - Total data blocks in file system %c - Total file nodes in file system %d - Free file nodes in file system %f - Free blocks in file system %i - File System id in hex %l - Maximum length of filenames %n - File name %s - Optimal transfer block size %T - Type in human readable form %t - Type in hex AUTHOR
Written by Michael Meskes. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for stat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and stat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info stat should give you access to the complete manual. stat (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 STAT(1)