Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing output to variable instead of file Post 302199526 by Furqan_79 on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 06:02:34 AM
Old 05-27-2008
Passing output to variable instead of file

Hi,

In normal shell scripting, how do you pass the output of a command to a variable, instead of a file and be able to use it later?
The code is:

#!/bin/bash

who | cut -d" " -f1 > onlineusers

Instead of passing the output of the above command to the file called 'onlineusers' highlighted in red, how do you pass the output to a variable or to any other sort of container and could be made use of later?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing output of sed/echo to a variable

I understand how to use a variable in a sed command, but for the life of me I can't get the output into a variable. I'm making a general function to replace part of a filename with a different string, so: >>myscript this that would change: this_file001.txt to that_file001.txt and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: donflamenco
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing the output of cmd from "eval" to a variable

Hello, I need help with the eval command. I have been building a lengthy cmd using eval, and I need to create $var from the output of the cmd. Here is what I have. Out=/dfezz1/output.txt Node="'LPAR Info:'" Gr3p0=" |grep" Printc=" prtconf" Output1=" 1>>$Out 0>&1" Cat1="cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as a file-Scripting Help

Hi Guys, i have a file where data is in the below format:: data1 data2 data3 data4 data4 data6 my script written as:: #!/bin/ksh cd $1 at now <<END sh $2 END Here i want to pass the values stored in the above file one by one till the end of line. Here if i am doing it as:: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atp3530
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from file to Oracle

cat a1 scott robert tom test script : #!/usr/bin/ksh for NAME in `cat a1` do VALUE=`sqlplus -silent "nobody/bobody01@testq" <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select username from dba_users where username=upper('$NAME'); END` if ; then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Shell variable from file to another command

Hi all, I have a file looks like AAAA 111 BBBB 222 CCCC 333 need to pass variable value like var1=AAAA and var2=111 to another command for three times with next values. stuck over here cat file | while read line do export var1=`awk '{print $1}'` echo $var1 export var2=`cat file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sqlplus output to shell variable

Hi , I am using below code : for i in `ps -ef|grep pmon|awk {' print $8 '}|cut -f3 -d'_'|grep -v '^grep'` do ORACLE_SID=$i export ORACLE_SID; dest=`sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF set heading off feedback on verify off select DESTINATION from v\\$archive_dest where target in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a file name to a variable

Below is the command mv AP_FLEXCUBE_INTERFACE10.txt FTPYMNTE_`date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S" | tr '' ''`.TXT it is changing the file name to a different name according to time stamp dynamically. I want to capture that dynamic file name present in the directory to a variable . After that i want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujit das
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing output parameter(Oracle) to variable in ksh Script

Hello, I have researched and tried many way to pass OUT parameter to be stored in variable in KSH Script.Still not success, please help. Here is my Store Procedure. create procedure testout3(v_in varchar2,v_out OUT integer) as begin v_out := 1; end; Here is my testvout.ksh #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palita2601
1 Replies
set_color(1)                                                           fish                                                           set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)