Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Purpose of 2>&1 in the command Post 302199500 by shafi2all on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 04:00:07 AM
Old 05-27-2008
Redirect Standard error to CURRENT standard output(which could be file or /dev/null) ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep 10 && command doesn't work

Hi there, I found a trick to easily postpone a command by a few seconds: supernova:~# sleep 10 && command &If you logout, the command should still be executed... But not all the time. Could anyone of you explain me why the following command is executed even after logging out: supernova:~# sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm & tcsh & sourcing a script in a single command

Hi friends, I have a script that sets the env variable path based on different conditions. Now the new path variable setting should not done in the same terminal or same shell. Only a new terminal or new shell should have the new path env variable set. I am able to do this only as follows: >cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowmya005
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Purpose D option in useradd command

Hi Can any one tell about -D option in the useradd command? Thanks MaroV (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the purpose of 2 >&1 in crontab?

while we editing the cron at the end of the cron what is the purpose of giving 2 >&1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

6. Solaris

ifconfig primary & standby purpose

I have two ethernet interfaces nge0 and nge1. An IP assigned on nge0 is 10.10.10.1/24 and on nge1 is 20.20.20.1/24. I want to make nge0 as primary interface. My question here is, 1. Being nge0 as primary interface, if I ping to an IP 20.20.20.5, what will happen? 2. If the answer for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of - (hypen) in script or command line

Hi, I am new for unix and I am following ABS guide. What is the purpose of - (hypen ) in the below command and What it will do in this?. Can anyone explain it in detail. Rest of the things in the below command I understood somewhat. (cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input while another command is running &&

This script runs tshark, then displays the output. I want to read a keypress at all times throughout this script, especially during the 10 seconds that tshark is running. This code however, only takes input before tshark runs. #!/bin/bash main() { while (( "1" == "1" )) ; do keypress &&... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiah07
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If && command giving wrong output

Hi All, I am trying to run a script which will search for 2 strings(stopped,started) in a text file and echo an output depending on below condition -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.txt v ggg f -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.sh VAR9=` grep 'stopped' /tmp/trial1.txt` VAR10=` grep 'started'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies
NOHUP(1)							   User Commands							  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from /dev/null. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for nohup is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and nohup programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'nohup invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 NOHUP(1)