Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting numbers from strings Post 302199437 by gobi on Monday 26th of May 2008 11:44:38 PM
Old 05-27-2008
yes thank you.

I left out the \.\. from the sed command. like I said its been a long day.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting strings

Hi, How do I extract the bytes size string from the ls -l command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting strings from a file

I want to collect the characters from 1-10 and 20-30 from each line of the file and take them in a file in the following format.Can someone help me with this : string1,string2 string1,string2 string1,string2 : : : : (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmsdelhi
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting numbers and multipling

Hi All, I have searched the forum but couldn't find exactly what I need. Hopefully someone may be able to help. I'm trying to put a script together that will extract numbers from a text file and multiply them by, for example 1.5 or 1.2 Sample file looks like this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: speedfreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers from a string

Hello Everyone, i have quick question. I have file names like: bin_map300.asc and I would like to extract grid300. My approach so far: name=bin_map300.asc echo ${name%%.*} echo ${name##*_} I am stuck combining the two. Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: creamcheese
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting numbers from a String

Hi all, I'm a new programmer to shell script... and I have no idea how to use substring. I want to extract the numbers from the following string and place it into a variable: "170 unique conformations found" The numbers can be more than three digits depending on the case. I just want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ah7391
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings

Hi, I've looked at a few existing posts on this, but they don't seem to work for my inputs. I have a text file where I want to extract all the text between two strings, every time that occurs. Eg my input file is Anna said that she would fetch the bucket. Anna and Ben moved the bucket.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesForeman
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting strings from a log file.

I'm new to all this and I've been fiddling with this problem for HOURS and feel silly that I can't work it out! I have a .log file that VERY long and looks like this: 2011-08-31 10:03:34 SUESTART AG Amndmnt Client WebRequest DNU SUEEND Sequence: 600, 2011-08-31 10:03:34 SUESTART... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusieSA
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two constant strings

Hi All, I have a file whose common patter is like this: .I 1 .U 87049087 .S Some text here too .M This is a text .T Some another text here .P Name of the book .W Some lines of more text. This text needs to be extracted. .A more text goes here too .I 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers

Hi I am part of a academic organization and I want to send a fax to the students however there must be a quicker way to get the fax numbers extracted from the online forms they sent me. The file looks like this (numbers are fake in order to protect identity): Biochemistry Major Michael... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed extracting numbers

I have number 192.168.21.8. I want to extract from this number with sed 21 and 8 to variables a and b. Any Ideas? I did like 's/\(192.168.\)/ /' but its wrong :( (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with 'nwbpvalues -c'. See util/nwbpsecurity for an example. As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)