Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a variable from a child script back to the parent Post 302199423 by fpmurphy on Monday 26th of May 2008 09:52:33 PM
Old 05-26-2008
Another way is to use a named pipe to communicate between the 2 scripts. Do a Web search for "shell named pipe".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script, child kills parent

Hello everyone, I'm trying to write a script, i would like to say the child kills the parent, how would i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy21
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to child instance of make

hi, I am trying to export a variable from the parent makefile to a child instance of my makefile within the same directory. the relevant code in my parent makefile is: libvar := $(notdir $(basename ../src/file1)) export libvar .PHONY: library library: make -f makechild libvar=file1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacpp
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send correct exit code from child script back to parent

Hello all; hope someone can help me cause I am going crazy trying to find a solution for (what I think is simple) issue...looked hard up and down this forum and tried several "solutions" with no avail...so here's my issue: I have this (parent) script: copylsofdcmcadefttosftpwithmove.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Child exiting and not returning to parent script

I am having a parent scripts which reads a file with child scripts name. I need to read one by one child script , execute it and 1. If child script fails send mail to the team with the log file 2. If the child script executes fine then proceed with the next child script execution. #!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Message passing from child to parent using pipes

Hi, I am trying my hand in networking programming in C, and got stuck in piping. I was following some tutorial and did the forking like : while (1) { newsockfd = accept(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &clilen); if (newsockfd < 0) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from the parent script while the child is running?

hi, i want to call a child shell script from a parent shell script. the child will be running for 5 mins. normally when the child is running, parent will wait till the child completes. so in the above case parent will be paused for 5 mins. is there a way so that the parents does not wait for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing key column from parent to child records

Hi Forum. I have this challenging issue that I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a file that contains 3 different types of segments (AM00, AM01, AM32) in a hierarchy structure and I want to be able to pass the column key from the parent record to the children records. AM00 - parent key:... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fail Parent Script if any of the child fails

I have requirement where I need to fail parent if any one of the child process fails. Here is the code snippet for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do child_script $i & done wait I need to fail my main script if any one of my child process fails (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
8 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--exec=script] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.10.0 2008-04-04 SIEVESHELL(1)