Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris Express Slow to load Gnome Post 302199313 by ciscocbee on Monday 26th of May 2008 10:52:11 AM
Old 05-26-2008
Solaris Express Slow to load Gnome

Hi,

I recently installed the latest Solaris Express Developers Edition. I'm building a NAS and want to use RAID Z, and Solaris 10 didn't have the drivers for my HD controller card. Everything is up and running fine, but I notice it takes a good 8 minutes to load gnome (or X, not sure where it is getting held up). When I had Solaris 10 on, everything was fast (30 sec to a minute).

I guess the first step is to check the log files for loading gnome, but where are they? Can I get the graphical interface to load verbose? How?

Thanks,

Cisco

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Can i load Xwindows or Gnome after the initial install

I am trying to load Xwindows on a sun240 that was deployed without it. I have the Solaris 10 disk mounted and ready but I want to make sure that I can load a Xwindows using the pkgadd command. I know its a dumb question but I rather ask a dumb question vs scrogging the box (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: razor3928
0 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter solaris express

Hello, | am trying to setup ipfilter on solaris express snv_91 but I don't seem to have the following file available. /etc/ipf/pfil.ap Is this an older way of configuring the interface?, I have all the packages installed. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Express or OpenIndiana

Simply question which should I use. correct me if I'm wrong but Solaris Express is taking the place of Opensolaris and is officially sanctioned by Oracle and OpenIndiana is what used to be OpenSolaris. If I opt for OpenIndiana is it going to follow the official Oracle Solaris releases or are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
3 Replies

4. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Client web pages very slow to load. Squid issue?

Hi. I have netBSD box acting as gateway, ftp, mail & web server, etc. It is now seven years old and has never missed a beat. The only problem is that the (Windows) boxes in my little network are now experiencing VERY slow web page loads. The other problem is that in the years since a Unix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: torontobob
0 Replies
gnome-screensaver-command(1)				      General Commands Manual				      gnome-screensaver-command(1)

NAME
gnome-screensaver-command - controls GNOME screensaver SYNOPSIS
gnome-screensaver-command [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
gnome-screensaver-command is a tool for controlling an already running instance of gnome-screensaver. OPTIONS
--exit Causes the screensaver to exit gracefully -q, --query Query the state of the screensaver -t, --time Query the length of time the screensaver has been active -l, --lock Tells the running screensaver process to lock the screen immediately -a, --activate Turn the screensaver on (blank the screen) -d, --deactivate If the screensaver is active then deactivate it (un-blank the screen) -V, --version Version of this application AUTHORS
gnome-screensaver-command is written by William Jon McCann <mccann@jhu.edu>. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>. SEE ALSO
gnome-screensaver(1) GNOME
2007-09-27 gnome-screensaver-command(1)