Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing all combinations : Awk Post 302199181 by jkl_jkl on Monday 26th of May 2008 04:15:56 AM
Old 05-26-2008
Thanks to radoulov and Franklin for your replies.

Just to make my requirement simple.

Code:
$ ls /temp
one  three  two

$ cat one

$ cat two

$ cat three

$ cat comb.sh
for i1 in `cat one`
        do
                for i2 in `cat two`
                        do
                                for i3 in `cat three`
                                        do
                                                echo "$i1|$i2|$i3"
                                        done
                        done
        done

$ ./comb.sh
1|4|6
1|4|7
1|4|8
1|5|6
1|5|7
1|5|8
2|4|6
2|4|7
2|4|8
2|5|6
2|5|7
2|5|8
3|4|6
3|4|7
3|4|8
3|5|6
3|5|7
3|5|8

But above code is hard-coded (I am specifying the file names in the code, I don't want to do that). what I want is that suppose if I add one more file called "four" with entries

Code:
$ cat four

Without adding a "for loop" for file "four", it should take automatically:

so that the output becomes:

Code:
1|4|6|9
1|4|7|9
1|4|8|9
1|5|6|9
1|5|7|9
1|5|8|9
2|4|6|9
2|4|7|9
2|4|8|9
2|5|6|9
2|5|7|9
2|5|8|9
3|4|6|9
3|4|7|9
3|4|8|9
3|5|6|9
3|5|7|9
3|5|8|9

i.e. How to construct the above "for loops" automatically based upon the files in /temp;; (Assuming the order of the loops is defined in a separate file)

Code:
$ cat order
one
two
three
four

Apologies for posting a huge query.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk execution with more combinations..

The requirement is to extract 9 fields randomly from a 13 field CSV file to make another CSV file. While doing that, the field 7 and 8 of input csv file should comeout as field 7 of output with the value as first charecters of both 7 and 8 fields of input file(CSV file). Presently I am using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mitte_dino
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

Hello, I am trying to write a formatted report into a file using .ksh script and awk. Here is the command I am trying to run echo "before awk" ${SRC_SCHEMA} echo | awk '{printf "%-20s", ${SRC_SCHEMA} }' >>$REPORT_SQL_NAME I get the following error before awk ADW awk: 0602-562 Field $()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

i have a file containing a line 123456 is it possible to use AWK to print it out to look like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printing help

Hallo, i have a file which looks like this: $1 $2 $3 Student1 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail Student2 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail i want that the $1 field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- print combinations for 2 cols

Dear all, could you please help me with awk please? I have such input: Input: a d b e c f The number of lines is unknown before reading the file. I need to print possible combination between the two columns like this: Output: a d b d c d a e b e c e a f (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irrevocabile
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing using awk

Hi I am relatively new to awk so i am getting confused a lot I am in need of help ... I am trying to append coloumns to the end of line using AWK I tried using this command awk -F "," '{for(s=7;s<=217;s++);$s="0";}1' OFS=, sam_sri_out It is giving me an output like this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating all possible bi-combinations of a list with grep/awk

I have a 1-column file such as the example below: flower cat dog pizza car book I want to create a second column in which all possible 2-item combinations of column one are outputted in 2 tab-separated columns, such as: flower flower cat flower dog flower pizza ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating all possible combinations of values in field 1 (awk)

Input: A|1 B|2 C|3 D|4 Output: A+B|3 A+C|4 A+D|5 B+C|5 B+D|6 C+D|7 A+B+C|6 A+B+D|7 A+C+D|8 B+C+D|9 A+B+C+D|10 I only managed to get the output for pairs of $1 values (i.e. combination of length 2): (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk permutations and combinations

hello, I'm reading this thread, in which there is this code :awk ' function comb(v,i) { for(i in A) { delete A; if(length(A)) comb((v?v"+":x)i) else print v"+"i A; } } { A } END { comb(); } ' infilebut I can't understand where does v come... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daPeach
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)