Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Increment userid in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increment userid in file Post 302199073 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 25th of May 2008 09:38:09 PM
Old 05-25-2008
I'd suggest just writing it out to a file someplace. eg:
Code:
number=`cat tempfile`
do_stuff_with $number
number=`expr $number + 1`
echo $number > tempfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the userid's of a file

what command can I use to display the userid's only of a file; specifially the /etc/passwd file? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file and increment

My scripts excepts 4 files ABCD_01 ABCD_02 ABCD_03 ABCD_04 I want to check for these files , and increment counter one by one . at the end i would like to echo as 4 of 4 expected instances of file found . I tried something like thsi $counter =1 if counter=counter+1 i need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence and increment

count=0; while read line; do ] && let count=count+1; done < file_name.txt echo echo "$count of 10 files found " echo The scenario is a follows : I have a file which contains a list of filenames present in particular directory . I am checking fo the existence of the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a value in a configuration file.

Experts, I would appreciate if someone took the time to express there opinion /approach in creating a new change daily to a configuration file. I create a new log file each day and I wish to have a browser based reader display the new file. To achieve this I would need to create a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To increment the values from the file

Hi I have the file called "file.txt" which contains the following output $cat file.txt sandy <version>1</version> karen <version>2</version> Rob <version>3</version> peter <version>4</version> i want to write a command which will add the value 1 to the digits and show the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read userid and password information from txt file

Hi Experts, I am writing a shell script (for displaying disk space details) which is logging to 15 different servers using following command. ssh userid@servername It is prompting me for password for all 15 servers when I manually run it. However , soon I would like to schedule this script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment Numbers in File

Hello, I have a text file withe some records 20121031|5 20121030|3 20121029|1 20121028|4 20121027|6 I want to search for a patten with '20121030' and then increment the second part of the delimiter i.e. 3 by 1 to make it 4 to look like 20121031|5 20121030|4 20121029|1 20121028|4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment value in text file

Hi Guys, I am new to shell programing, I have a csv file which has 50k records and I have got the requirement to increment the value in second column after each 5000 records. for example below A,B,C,D //Header 1,1,London,UK 1,1,Manchester,UK 1,1,Glasgow,UK . . . 1,1,Newyork,USA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizzu1555
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a REGEX to increment the file number of a pdf file

Hello, I have a few thousand .pdf files in various folders each have a naming scheme like this: 006_-_Titled_Document_#34_-_September-25-2011-side-1.pdf In each folder, the number system starts at 001 (as you see on the far left of the file name), and then ends at 999 (maximum .pdf files).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to increment version inside a file?

Hi All, I need to write a shell script which opens a file and increments the version(text) within the file every time the script runs. For example: $ cat docker_file.yml version: '3.1' services: ui: image: repo-srv.dev.io:5000/facebook/ui:0.0.2-QA1 $ So, I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshayupadhayay
6 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)