Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Separate special character fields Post 302199068 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 25th of May 2008 09:15:15 PM
Old 05-25-2008
Pseudo-code:
Code:
for field in (all fields)
do
  if echo $field | grep[list of ok characters]
  then
    process_the_field
  fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

separate information with a space character

Hi, I would like to display a sorted list (based on the login name) of the login name, the home directory and the default shell of each user defined on the system ; I just do cut -d: -f1,6,7 /etc/passwd | sort And then I would like to separate each information with a space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: remid1985
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate fields

Hi everyone! I have a field like that: I need to keep I don't know how to use the Capital character like a separator and how to keep only this one... I guess sed could do something like that... Thanks;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a CSV File by reading fields from separate files

SHELL SCRIPT Hi, I have 3 separate files within a folder. Every File contains data in a single column like File1 contains data mayank sushant dheeraj File2 contains DSA_AT MG_AT FLAT_09 File3 contains data 123123 232323 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayanksargoch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

separate the file according to the number of fields

I have a file which is delimetered by ',' i need to filter out a file with respect to the number of fileds in each line. a,s,d,f,g,h,j,k,l 1,2,3,3,4,5,6,7,6 a,2,3 4,5,6,7 in this i neeed to filter out the lines with 8 column to another file and rest to another file. so ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Print fields between two delimiters on separate lines and send to variables

I have email headers that look like the following. In the end I would like to accomplish sending each email address to its own variable, such as: user1@domain.com='user1@domain.com' user2@domain.com='user2@domain.com' user3@domain.com='user3@domain.com' etc... I know the sed to get rid of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tay9000
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a column in two separate fields

for making a summary I have a CSV file which is transformed to .DAT. I have an AWK file which is supposing to do the mapping of the DAT file. The code from the AWK file is the one below. The content of the DAT file looks like this (tab separated): ODT AGE CDT CO SEX TIME VALUE COMMENT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grikoss
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate fields

awk 'NF==2{s=$1;next}{$(NF+1)=s}1' sort.txt > output.txt A_16_P32713632 chr10 90695750 90695810 ACTA2 A_16_P32713635 chr10 90696573 90696633 ACTA2 A_16_P32713680 chr10 90697419 90697479 ACTA2 The command above outputs the data as a string separated by a space in 1 field. I can not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print line is values between two fields in separate file

I am trying to use awk to find all the $3 values in file2 that are between $2 and $3 in file1. If a value in $3 of file2 is between the file1 fields then it is printed along with the $6 value in file1. Both file1 and file2 are tab-delimited as well as the desired output. If there is nothing to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-w | -d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column and field numbering start from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the columns or fields from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all columns or fields from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all columns or fields from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlap- ping, and in any order. It is not an error to select columns or fields not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option). Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. -w Use whitespace (spaces and tabs) as the delimiter. Consecutive spaces and tabs count as one single field separator. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
August 8, 2012 BSD