Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem Running Touch From Script Post 302198849 by Viola on Saturday 24th of May 2008 12:20:22 PM
Old 05-24-2008
Thanks for your help. I now have it working.

The path to my touch was ok. It turned out that your first suggestion worked helped me fix it, but I didn't realize because I'd introduced another error in the fix.

The problem was a carriage return (\r) at the end of each command line. I fixed this and created a new commands.bash script. It still didn't work, so I thought, "Darn, it still doesn't work" so I posted where I'd got to so far and went to bed. This morning I suddenly realized that by changing the commands.bash file, I also had to set it's chmod back to 755. I did this, and it worked.

Thanks a lot for your help. It was the suggestion to run the script verbose that really helped. This was my first ever shell script and I was "feeling around in the dark" a bit. Using the verbose option is a debugging technique that I can remember in the future.

Viola

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem running script remotelly.

Hi, i would like a help with this problem. i have the following situation: 4 workstations SUNs: SunOS porsche 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 SunOS jaguar 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 SunOS mercedes 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougpss
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Running Script

Hi friends, i have written one small script named as "size.sh"..... while running its giving syntax error at line no 2: 'str=$' unexpected. How to run this file ??? please help me. file content is : ----------------------------- #!/bin/sh str=$( df -k | grep /usr/local)... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: samfrance
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem running script

hey, i'm trying to run several processes due 2 loops : the code is: cd ${TIBCO_HOME}/tra/domain/${DOMAIN}/application/ for app_name in ls * do echo $app_name if && && ; then exit else echo $app_name cd $app_name pwd for ps_name in ls *.sh do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ohadr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with running the remote script

Hi All, I am running a script which is present on remote machine using ssh command. the remote script is failing when try to load a property file. It says file does not exist. Any idea what should be the problem for this. Thanks Supriya. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

K script not running / syntax problem

Hi, I have following K script, that is in rc0.d directory to be run on shutdown. It's linked using the 'ln' command to init.d.Can anyone tell me as to why it's not running, or if i have incorrect syntax?I get: "test: argument expected type=uname -p + " When running it with sh -x ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrlaw
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in running a shell script

Hi, I'm trying to run a simple shell script whose contents are pasted below. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo $PATH performbuild { echo "Inside performBuild function" } echo "Main Shell started" performbuild echo "Main Shell ended" DV> ls -ltr total 48 -rwxr-xr-x 1 pb5377 it-ibm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blp_18
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with crontab running a script

I am trying to use the CRON utility in Fedora 11 & CentOS... I intend to run a script which pops up a warning message every hour and i made the following entry using "CRONTAB -e " * * * * * sh /bin/myscript.sh But this does not seem to be running. Another thing to note is that,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running a program/script in the background from a script

Hi all, I have a script that calls another program/script, xxx, to run in the background. Supposedly this program at most should finish within five (5) minutes so after five (5) minutes, I run some other steps to run the script into completion. My problem is sometimes the program takes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem on running a script

Hi all, Running follow command on terminal; $ glance -T cloudlive -I ubuntu -K ubuntu123 -N \ http://127.0.0.1:5000/v2.0/OpenX add name="cirros" is_public=true \ container_format=ovf disk_format=raw < \ /srv/cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-disk.img It works without problem. Putting it on a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Script problem when running on crontab

Hi guys! I created a backup script that works fine when I run manually, but when I put a crontab job to execute it the result are not the expected. (not a time problem). Here is my script: bash-3.00# cat /bk_tool/backup2.sh #!/usr/bin/csh clear set DIR_HOST='SCP08' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andredemartini
3 Replies
TOUCH(3)								 1								  TOUCH(3)

touch - Sets access and modification time of file

SYNOPSIS
bool touch (string $filename, [int $time = time()], [int $atime]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to set the access and modification times of the file named in the $filename parameter to the value given in $time. Note that the access time is always modified, regardless of the number of parameters. If the file does not exist, it will be created. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The name of the file being touched. o $time - The touch time. If $time is not supplied, the current system time is used. o $atime - If present, the access time of the given filename is set to the value of $atime. Otherwise, it is set to the value passed to the $time parameter. If neither are present, the current system time is used. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | It became possible to change the modification | | | time of a directory under Windows. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 touch(3) example <?php if (touch($filename)) { echo $filename . ' modification time has been changed to present time'; } else { echo 'Sorry, could not change modification time of ' . $filename; } ?> Example #2 touch(3) using the $time parameter <?php // This is the touch time, we'll set it to one hour in the past. $time = time() - 3600; // Touch the file if (!touch('some_file.txt', $time)) { echo 'Whoops, something went wrong...'; } else { echo 'Touched file with success'; } ?> NOTES
Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Warning Prior to PHP 5.3.0 it was not possible to change the modification time of a directory with this function under Windows. PHP Documentation Group TOUCH(3)