Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem Running Touch From Script Post 302198849 by Viola on Saturday 24th of May 2008 12:20:22 PM
Old 05-24-2008
Thanks for your help. I now have it working.

The path to my touch was ok. It turned out that your first suggestion worked helped me fix it, but I didn't realize because I'd introduced another error in the fix.

The problem was a carriage return (\r) at the end of each command line. I fixed this and created a new commands.bash script. It still didn't work, so I thought, "Darn, it still doesn't work" so I posted where I'd got to so far and went to bed. This morning I suddenly realized that by changing the commands.bash file, I also had to set it's chmod back to 755. I did this, and it worked.

Thanks a lot for your help. It was the suggestion to run the script verbose that really helped. This was my first ever shell script and I was "feeling around in the dark" a bit. Using the verbose option is a debugging technique that I can remember in the future.

Viola

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem running script remotelly.

Hi, i would like a help with this problem. i have the following situation: 4 workstations SUNs: SunOS porsche 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 SunOS jaguar 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 SunOS mercedes 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougpss
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Running Script

Hi friends, i have written one small script named as "size.sh"..... while running its giving syntax error at line no 2: 'str=$' unexpected. How to run this file ??? please help me. file content is : ----------------------------- #!/bin/sh str=$( df -k | grep /usr/local)... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: samfrance
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem running script

hey, i'm trying to run several processes due 2 loops : the code is: cd ${TIBCO_HOME}/tra/domain/${DOMAIN}/application/ for app_name in ls * do echo $app_name if && && ; then exit else echo $app_name cd $app_name pwd for ps_name in ls *.sh do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ohadr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with running the remote script

Hi All, I am running a script which is present on remote machine using ssh command. the remote script is failing when try to load a property file. It says file does not exist. Any idea what should be the problem for this. Thanks Supriya. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

K script not running / syntax problem

Hi, I have following K script, that is in rc0.d directory to be run on shutdown. It's linked using the 'ln' command to init.d.Can anyone tell me as to why it's not running, or if i have incorrect syntax?I get: "test: argument expected type=uname -p + " When running it with sh -x ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrlaw
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in running a shell script

Hi, I'm trying to run a simple shell script whose contents are pasted below. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo $PATH performbuild { echo "Inside performBuild function" } echo "Main Shell started" performbuild echo "Main Shell ended" DV> ls -ltr total 48 -rwxr-xr-x 1 pb5377 it-ibm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blp_18
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with crontab running a script

I am trying to use the CRON utility in Fedora 11 & CentOS... I intend to run a script which pops up a warning message every hour and i made the following entry using "CRONTAB -e " * * * * * sh /bin/myscript.sh But this does not seem to be running. Another thing to note is that,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running a program/script in the background from a script

Hi all, I have a script that calls another program/script, xxx, to run in the background. Supposedly this program at most should finish within five (5) minutes so after five (5) minutes, I run some other steps to run the script into completion. My problem is sometimes the program takes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem on running a script

Hi all, Running follow command on terminal; $ glance -T cloudlive -I ubuntu -K ubuntu123 -N \ http://127.0.0.1:5000/v2.0/OpenX add name="cirros" is_public=true \ container_format=ovf disk_format=raw < \ /srv/cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-disk.img It works without problem. Putting it on a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Script problem when running on crontab

Hi guys! I created a backup script that works fine when I run manually, but when I put a crontab job to execute it the result are not the expected. (not a time problem). Here is my script: bash-3.00# cat /bk_tool/backup2.sh #!/usr/bin/csh clear set DIR_HOST='SCP08' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andredemartini
3 Replies
OPEN(1) 							     Linux 1.x								   OPEN(1)

NAME
open - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
open [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
open will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the envi- ronment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then open will switch back to the controlling terminal when the command completes. -- end of options to open. NOTE
If open is compiled with a POSIX (Gnu) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
open can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: open bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: open -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: open -- ls -l SEE ALSO
login(1), doshell(8), switchto(1). AUTHOR
Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk> -w idea from "sam". 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPEN(1)