Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to extract certain part of log file? Post 302198776 by superHonda123 on Saturday 24th of May 2008 01:52:08 AM
Old 05-24-2008
Question How to extract certain part of log file?

Hi there,

I'm having some problem with UNIX scripting (ksh), perhaps somebody can help me out?

For example:
------------
Sample content of my log file (text file):
--------------------------------------
File1: ....
info_1 ...
info_2 ...
info_3 ...

File2: ....
info_1 ...
info_2 ...
info_3 ...

File3: ....
info_1 ...
info_2 ...
info_3 ...

...Etc

I'm having a problem to extract relevant information from a portion part of the log file. For example, how can I extract all relevant information for "File2" only (including info_1, info_2 and info_3)?

So if the desired output should be:
---------------------------------
File2: ....
info_1 ...
info_2 ...
info_3 ...

My scripting skill still not very advance. so any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a part of file name

Hi, I want to extract a part of filename and pass it as a parameter to one of the scripts. Could someone help. File name:- NLL_NAM_XXXXX.XXXXXXX_1_1.txt. Here i have to extract only XXXXX.XXXXXXX and the position will be constant. that means that i have to extract some n characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing last modified part of log file

I have a log file which contains data like this This log file is updated twice a day at 7am and 6pm, I want a script(which i will make run at 7:10am and 6:10pm) which should fetch only the last appended lines since last update.. I mean.. if i execute the script at 7.10am 3/3/2010 it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user__user3110
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of text file

I need to extract the following lines from this text and put it in different files. From xxxx@gmail.com Thu Jun 10 21:15:46 2010 Return-Path: <xxxxx@gmail.com> X-Original-To: xxx@localhost Delivered-To:xxxx@localhost Received: from ubuntu (localhost ) by ubuntu (Postfix) with ESMTP... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waxo
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get a part of a String from a log file

Hey there, I'm searched for one day your forum for a similar solution. Didn't find one, sorry :( Now here is what I'm searching for. I have the following multiple lines from a log (Edit: log name is SystemOut.log - this is not my day. I Apologize): 000042e2 1_BLA_Yab I logging.LogInfo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobodyhere
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the date part from the log file.

Hi, I have a script that runs to generate a log file which is in this format: Start: Friday, April 29, 2011 18:30 User : Host : Database : I need to write a script that reads this log file (RUN.LOG) and rename the existing log file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok@119
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract part of file

Hello All, I need to extract part of a file into a new file My file is Define schema xxxxxx Insert into table ( a ,b ,c ,d ) values ( 1, 2, 3, (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the part of sequences from a file

I have a text file, input.fasta contains some protein sequences. input.fasta is shown below. >P02649 MKVLWAALLVTFLAGCQAKVEQAVETEPEPELRQQTEWQSGQRWELALGRFWDYLRWVQT LSEQVQEELLSSQVTQELRALMDETMKELKAYKSELEEQLTPVAEETRARLSKELQAAQA RLGADMEDVCGRLVQYRGEVQAMLGQSTEELRVRLASHLRKLRKRLLRDADDLQKRLAVY... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahim42
8 Replies

8. Programming

Extract part of an archive to a different file

I need to save part of a file to a different one, start and end offset bytes are provided by two counters in long format. If the difference is big, how should I do it to prevent buffer overflow in java? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract part of string from all log files.?

Hi All, Let us say we have 5 log files, extract the data from all log files and save the output in a file. home/log/first.log home/log/second.log home/log/third.log home/log/four.log home/log/five.log I want to extract the following text from the log files and save the output in a file.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
7 Replies
SMBSTATUS(1)							   User Commands						      SMBSTATUS(1)

NAME
smbstatus - report on current Samba connections SYNOPSIS
smbstatus [-P] [-b] [-d <debug level>] [-v] [-L] [-B] [-p] [-S] [-s <configuration file>] [-u <username>] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbstatus is a very simple program to list the current Samba connections. OPTIONS
-P|--profile If samba has been compiled with the profiling option, print only the contents of the profiling shared memory area. -b|--brief gives brief output. -d|--debuglevel=level level is an integer from 0 to 10. The default value if this parameter is not specified is 0. The higher this value, the more detail will be logged to the log files about the activities of the server. At level 0, only critical errors and serious warnings will be logged. Level 1 is a reasonable level for day-to-day running - it generates a small amount of information about operations carried out. Levels above 1 will generate considerable amounts of log data, and should only be used when investigating a problem. Levels above 3 are designed for use only by developers and generate HUGE amounts of log data, most of which is extremely cryptic. Note that specifying this parameter here will override the smb.conf.5.html# parameter in the smb.conf file. -V|--version Prints the program version number. -s|--configfile <configuration file> The file specified contains the configuration details required by the server. The information in this file includes server-specific information such as what printcap file to use, as well as descriptions of all the services that the server is to provide. See smb.conf for more information. The default configuration file name is determined at compile time. -l|--log-basename=logdirectory Base directory name for log/debug files. The extension ".progname" will be appended (e.g. log.smbclient, log.smbd, etc...). The log file is never removed by the client. -v|--verbose gives verbose output. -L|--locks causes smbstatus to only list locks. -B|--byterange causes smbstatus to include byte range locks. -p|--processes print a list of smbd(8) processes and exit. Useful for scripting. -S|--shares causes smbstatus to only list shares. -h|--help Print a summary of command line options. -u|--user=<username> selects information relevant to username only. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8) and smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBSTATUS(1)