Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to put the default value
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to put the default value Post 302198712 by DukeNuke2 on Friday 23rd of May 2008 06:42:58 PM
Old 05-23-2008
nice one... have to remember this!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help need help on wine how to put in

how the hell do you put wine in because i don't know i have mandrake please tell how to put in (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put a # in a file

Hello, Sir's, I would like to ask for help. This is my problem, i am working for a mbs for aix,hp-ux and solaris. And i am making a script that will automatically implement the said mbs. For example it will automatically change the permmisions of /usr/bin, /etc/passwd and so on. . . .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where should I put the script?

Hi Guys, I'm a new to the UNIX. Let say I have a 1 simple script to stop and start vnc service. I want to use that script for support because my network connection to my client side is not stable and every time I have to use a long command to restart vnc. Where should I put that script?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put those in Dbase

Hi Experts, I have a file which contains- .. .. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' standalone='no'?> <LogItems> <log logid="83efeae5190809080000080410"> <category>Upstream.TEL</category> <operation>MAKE</operation> <target>mms</target> <user>purple</user>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put it in a column

Simple question ..What is the easiest way to list my output in a column like so dddd dddd dddd dddd output dddd dddd dddd dddd Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

put $,.

original content: 0000000000 TIAA-CREF 0000000000 CAREMARK all said and done, i'd like to look like this: $00,000,000.00 TIAA-CREF $00,000,000.00 CAREMARK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get this out put ?

How to get to know, where are the current logs been updated in the system or most recently updated logs in the system. consider /usr/abc/def and inside the def folder , i have many subfolders The command out put ,need to give me the log files and there location , which are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidharthmellam
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to sort df -h out put :

Hello every one , I am just trying to sort df -h out in a particular order to differentiate SAN disks and local disks .. does any body have any script or any useful command ?? thanks in advance .. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2uniks
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to put semicolon

Hi guys, I want to write script so that i can put semicolon after every numeric e.g input would be like that 50060E80058F49A4 Output should be 50:06:0E:80:05:8F:49:A4 Please help Thanks & Regards Nirjhar (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirjhar17
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP PUT

Hi, ServerA (SFTP server) ServerB (SFTP client) ServerB:> sftp user@ServerA ServerB:> put sample.txt ServerB:> get sample2.txt My question is that which machine will encrypt the sample.txt and sample2.txt files. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpit Narula
8 Replies
whereami(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       whereami(8)

NAME
whereami -- non-interatively ascertain the location of the computer and reconfigure the system appropriately. SYNOPSIS
whereami [--debug ] [--scriptdebug ] [--syslog ] [--noactions ] [--nolocking ] [--mapping ] [--basedir directory ] [--statedir directory ] [--from location_list ] [--run_from calling_program_tag ] [location_list] DESCRIPTION
`whereami' provides a configurable and extensible framework for automatic location-detection and reconfiguration of computers, typically laptops. Detection Detection is handled through the use of various network and hardware probing tools. These tools have been wrapped in small shell scripts to interface them to whereami, but the end-user with different requirements may wish to extend these in some situations. whereami processes the file /etc/whereami/detect.conf performing the tests specified in there in order to decide which location the com- puter is currently located at. For full detail on the discovery process, you should read the detect.conf (5) manpage. Configuration Configuration is handled through standard shell scripting. A variety of small utility scripts are provided and the author is always will- ing to accept more. The file /etc/whereami/whereami.conf is parsed and a script built containing the actions specified there which are associated with the locations found during the detection phase. Actions may be configured for when leaving, remaining, or arriving at a location. Once the script has been built, it is run to effect the necessary changes to the system configuration. OPTIONS
This program follows the modern command-line syntax preceding each option with a double dash (`--'). Short form options are also avail- able, but are not documented (RTFC :-) --debug Run in debugging mode. A verbose output is provided and the resulting script is output to the screen and not executed. --scriptdebug Run in script debugging mode. Each script supplied with `whereami' will `set -o xtrace' if the environment variable `DEBUGWHERE- AMI' is set to non-blank. This parameter will set that variable. The script which is built by whereami will also respond to the environment variable. --syslog Output some logging information to syslog. The 'user' facility is used for this, and it provides an insight into which locations whereami has chosen, and why. In combination with --scriptdebug above, this can be very useful for debugging your configuration. Also note that the default installation turns this on for apm and init actions. --noactions Just do the detection and print the location name. Don't build and run the script from whereami.conf. You might do this if you wanted to use whereami's detection, but use something else for configuration. Perhaps you could achieve the same end with a very simple whereami.conf, but there should always be two ways to do anything :-). --nolocking whereami won't normally let two copies of whereami run at the same time. Use this option if you can come up with a scenario where you should allow this to happen! --mapping This will persuade whereami to do only the detection stage, and output a list of the detected locations, suitable for use as a mapping script with ifupdown. --hint locations Provides some hints to the detection process. The locations set by this parameter (a comma-delimited list) may be referenced by rules in your detect.conf. --basedir directory Specifies the base directory which will contain both the detect.conf and whereami.conf. The default is `/etc/whereami' which should be right for normal use. --statedir directory Specifies the state directory in which whereami will write files indicating the current and previous locations (iam , iwas) and the script which is run for this environment (whereiam.sh). --from location_list Overrides whereami's knowledge of where you have come from. The location_list will be a comma-separated list of the locations which you are leaving. Normally `whereami' maintains a history of locations, so that it knows where you have come from (and what might consequently have to be de-configured) as well as knowing that your location has changed. --run_from calling_program_tag This provides a mechanism for calling software, such as init scripts, pcmcia startup or apm events, to pass some of that source information to whereami, where it is promptly ignored, at present. I have a possibly misguided idea that this might be useful somehow, but I can't think of any application of it at this point! location_list Overrides whereami's testing of where you are. The location_list will be a comma-separated list of the locations which you are now at. You might use this if you wished to bypass the detection phase, using some other package to handle that. SEE ALSO
detect.conf (5), whereami.conf (5) There is some further documentation in HTML available in /usr/share/doc/whereami/manual FILES
/etc/whereami/detect.conf Defines the process of detection. /etc/whereami/whereami.conf Defines the actions performed as a result of entering, leaving, or remaining within a particular location. KNOWN BUGS
This man page only documents the current perl version of whereami. For backward compatibility with people's setups, it is possible to con- figure your system to run the older shell-script, which is currently undocumented. If you wish to switch from the shell script to the new perl program you will need to create an appropriate `detect.conf' file to define your location detection parameters. Your existing whereami.conf file should be compatible with this version. Once you have created a detect.conf file in /etc/whereami you should run `dpkg-reconfigure whereami' and respond to the questions. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Andrew McMillan <debian@mcmillan.net.nz> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Per- mission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GPL version 2. whereami(8)