Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking How do I find my IP address when connecting via VPN. Post 302198389 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 09:18:47 PM
Old 05-22-2008
ifconfig is a tool to examine network interfaces on the server it's run from. Not much use for you as you are looking for the IP you are coming _from_.

I'd suggest using the 'who' command and picking your username out via a grep.

An alternative solution would be to enable PuTTY's built in X11 forwarding and use that instead. It's usually easier to do and will also encrypt your X11 data - generally a good thing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find i.p address of our server

I don't have root access. How do I find i.p address of our sun server? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpotluri
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

connecting the ip address

Hi, I have three ip address say x.x.x.x , y.y.y.y and z.z.z.z I am connecting to x.x.x.x first and from there i am telnet y.y.y.y and getting into y and from there i am telnet to z i want to know, can we write a script, which can automatically connect from x to y and from y to z.. is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Connecting To An External Network Using A logical (PACKAGE) IP Address

Hie everyone, I am currently facing a problem whereby I can not connect to an external network from a package ip address on a HP-UX cluster. Below is the illustration: Primary Server IP Address : n.n.n.202 Secondary Server IP Address : n.n.n.212 Package IP Address : n.n.n.211 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cchilenga
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

continue after connecting to cisco vpn

Hi all, This will save me a tremendous amount of time if i can get this script working. I have alot of sites i need to connect to using cisco vpn and then ssh onto servers to retrieve some info. Its all repetitative and it needs scripted. what i have done so far is put this into a script. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Is Possible to Registrar a MAC Address in a VPN

Hi Gurus, I have a question: I have a connection VPN to my Branch Office, but some day the Network administrator send an e-mail and he tell me that I must be disconnected the VPN. But In that moment I don't use the VPN, Someone was coneccted to the VPN I think. The Question is: I want to know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
0 Replies

6. Solaris

vpn not connecting

Hi, I have been using using internet explorer on windows for connecting with production server using vpn connection. i want to use same vpn to connect from solaris system to the production server.it is not connecting is there solution (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find another IP address

Hi Guys, I want to find another(Local host) machine IP address from my machine.. We are all connected in the same server, I mean same LAN. What i done is Connected with that user machine using SSH and SU.. After that i used IFCONFIG but it shows my Ip address. Can not able to get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find available IP address

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will check all used IP on the server and then print me an addressees that are not in use. Problem is in comparing two variables #!/bin/bash NETSTAT=$(netstat -ntp | awk '{ print $4 }' | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | cut -d ":" -f1 | grep "^"|sort | uniq )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemesis911
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error when connecting to remote server to find files with timestamp today's day

I am connecting to remote server and try to check if files with timestamp as Today's day are on the directory. Below is my code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly; Today=`date +%Y%m%d`; if ;then echo "We... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies
ip6_setup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      ip6_setup(8)

NAME
ip6_setup - IPv6 configuration program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ip6_setup DESCRIPTION
The ip6_setup utility allows you to configure the IPv6 networking software on your system. To run ip6_setup, enter the following command and then answer the questions: # ip6_setup You must know your Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) address. If your network uses subnet routing, you must know the subnet mask for your network. The network manager should be able to provide you with the information that you need. After the ip6_setup command completes, the network services on the system can be restarted manually with the following command: # /usr/sbin/rcinet restart Before you restart the network services with the preceding command, warn the users that the network services on the system are being removed. File systems that were not mounted using the /etc/fstab file or the automount command must be unmounted with the unmount command. You must remount these file systems using the mount command after the network is started on your system. Alternatively, you can reboot the system with the following command: # /usr/sbin/shutdown -r now FILES
Specifies the host name file. Specifies the environment variables that define the network configuration on your system. Specifies the trusted hosts file. Specifies the network name file. Specifies Internet routing information. Specifies Internet routing information. SEE ALSO
Commands: mount(8), rcinet(8) Files: gateways(4), hosts(4), hosts.equiv(4), networks(4), routes(4). Network Administration ip6_setup(8)