Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to: Parse text string into variables using Korn shell Post 302198316 by joeyg on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 03:38:43 PM
Old 05-22-2008
Power Here is one approach, and it combines a couple different tricks

Code:
> cat inputf
15% /
0% /devices
0% /system/contract
0% /proc
0% /etc/mnttab
1% /etc/svc/volatile
0% /system/object
0% /dev/fd
1% /var/run
50% /s01
40% /s02
20% /u01

Code:
> cat scan_data 
#! /bin/bash
while read zf
   do
   numb=$(echo "$zf" | cut -d"%" -f1)
   driv=$(echo "$zf" | cut -d"%" -f2)

drivt=$(printf "%-40s" "$driv")
   numbt=$(printf "%9.3f" "$numb")
   echo "For your disk drive = $drivt ... your percentage full is $numbt"

done<inputf

Code:
> scan_data 
For your disk drive =  /                                       ... your percentage full is    15.000
For your disk drive =  /devices                                ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /system/contract                        ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /proc                                   ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /etc/mnttab                             ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /etc/svc/volatile                       ... your percentage full is     1.000
For your disk drive =  /system/object                          ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /dev/fd                                 ... your percentage full is     0.000
For your disk drive =  /var/run                                ... your percentage full is     1.000
For your disk drive =  /s01                                    ... your percentage full is    50.000
For your disk drive =  /s02                                    ... your percentage full is    40.000
For your disk drive =  /u01                                    ... your percentage full is    20.000
For your disk drive =                                          ... your percentage full is     0.000

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables Naming in Korn Shell

Hi every body, I want to know what is the different between the following: $VAR1 ${VAR2} "${VAR3}" Are they equivalent? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse config variables from external file to shell script

How do i use a config.txt to recursively pass a set of variables to a shell script eg my config.txt looks like this : path=c://dataset/set1 v1= a.bin v2= b.bin path=c://dataset/set2 v1= xy.bin v2= abc.bin .................. and so on . and my testscript : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradsh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accessing PL/SQL OUT variables in Korn Shell Script

Hello All, I was just wondering if there is any direct way to access PL/SQL OUT variables from Korn Shell Script. I could already figure out how to return a single value back from PL/SQL to Shell Script (using bind variable). But, what if we want to return multiple values? One option I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bright_future
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string into variables

I'm working in korn shell and have a variable which contains a string like: aa_yyyymmdd_bbb_ccc_ddd.abc. I want to treat the _ and . as delimiters and parse the string so I end up with 6 values in variables that I can manipulate. My original plan was to use var1=`echo $sting1 | cut -c1-c2` but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing in Korn Shell

Hi everybody, I have a string stored in a variable called record: record="SNMPv2-SMI::ent.9.9.43.1.3.9.2 = Timeticks: (177330898) 20 days, 12:35:08.98" I want to write some regular expressions good for Korn Shell to extract the number between parenthesis, in this case 177330898, and put it in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omoyne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point variables korn shell

Hi I'm not using Korn93 but want to use floating point variable. Is there any solution to do that ? thx for help. ---------- Post updated at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:38 PM ---------- I have the following peace of code: for n in `cat log.January.1.array` do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell program to parse CSV text file and insert values into Oracle database

Enclosed is comma separated text file. I need to write a korn shell program that will parse the text file and insert the values into Oracle database. I need to write the korn shell program on Red Hat Enterprise Linux server. Oracle database is 10g. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellguy
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

'*' vs. '@' in Korn Shell Array Variables

In order to use the shellcurses functions described at: Shell Curses function library I am learning about ksh, which has arrays. My trusty Kochan & Wood book says that for any Korn Shell array AR : ${AR } expands to all the defined array elements, and ${#AR } expands to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse variables from C++ to shell

Hi All, #include <iostream> int main() { std::int foo = 34; system("mkdir /home/linuxUser/fooDir"); system("vi fooFile") system("write foo in fooFile") foo = 43; foo = read foo from fooFile; std::cout << "foo = " << foo ; } result should be foo = 34 can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
3 Replies