Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX extract field of characters after a specific pattern - using UNIX shell script Post 302198190 by Franklin52 on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 09:52:21 AM
Old 05-22-2008
Try this:

Code:
sed 's/ABCD\(.*\) .*/\1/'  file > newfile

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to extract field of characters in a line

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could you please let me know the shell script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data into file with specific field specs

:confused: I have a tab delimited file that I need to extract data from and into a file with specific field specs. Each field has to be a certain amount of characters. So, the name field (from delimited file) might have only 15 characters but needs to be 25 (in new file) so I need to insert spaces... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: criddel
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script or command help to extract specific contents from a long list of content

Hi, I got a long list of contents: >sequence_1 ASSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCC ASDSFDFFDFDFFWERERERERFSDFESFSFD >sequence_2 ASDFDFDFFDDFFDFDSFDSFDFSDFSDFDSFASDSADSADASD ASDFFDFDFASFASFASFAFSFFSDASFASFASFAFS >sequence_3 VEDFGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG dDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Counting specific characters within each field

Hello, I have a file like following: ALB_13554 1 1 1 ALB_13554 1 2 1 ALB_18544 2 0 2 ALB_18544 1 0 1 This is a sample of my file, my real file has 441845 number of fields. What I want to do is to calculate the number of 1 and 2 in each column using AWK, so, the output file looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace and remove few junk characters from a specific field?

I would like to remove all characters starting with "%" and ending with ")" in the 4th field - please help!! 1412007819.864 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=0) 0.434 0.112 1412007819.866 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=1) 0.423 0.123... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snemuk14
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse xml in shell script and extract records with specific condition

Hi I have xml file with multiple records and would like to extract records from xml with specific condition if specific tag is present extract entire row otherwise skip . <logentry revision="21510"> <author>mantest</author> <date>2015-02-27</date> <QC_ID>334566</QC_ID>... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: madankumar.t@hp
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Specific Information from a particular field

Hi, I am trying to extract a specific information from a file which contains more than 200 million records. Attached the input file for your reference. My file contains information below ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)