Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows Post 302197739 by Linux Bot on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 02:30:01 PM
Old 05-21-2008
Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows

Wed, 21 May 2008 18:00:00 GMT
One of the perennial debates about the GNU/Linux desktop is how much it should resemble Windows. Usually, the debate is framed in terms of whether the desktop should look familiar to new users, or be developed in whatever way seems most logical. However, if the experience of the Famelix distribution in Brazil is any indication, imitating Windows and outperforming it can also leave you open to other threats, including accusations of piracy and changes of policy by Windows-centric management.

Source...

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. What is on Your Mind?

The dangers of geek boredom

After having listed a bunch of items for one of my daughters; I decided to unload one of my expired license plates. When I lived in Virginia, I wrote a PERL script that crawled my server farm attempting to register the vanity plate of 'UNIX' on Virginia's DMV site. One day, it succeeded. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies
Nautilus(1)						      General Commands Manual						       Nautilus(1)

NAME
nautilus - the GNOME File Manager SYNOPSIS
nautilus [options] URIs... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the nautilus command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Nautilus is the file manager for the GNOME desktop. OPTIONS
Nautilus follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --browser Open a browser window. -c --check Perform a quick set of self-check tests. -g --geometry=GEOMETRY Create the initial window with the given geometry. -n --no-default-window Only create windows for explicitly specified URIs. --no-desktop Do not manage the desktop -- ignore the preference set in the preferences dialog. -q --quit Quit Nautilus. --help Show a summary of options. --version Show Nautilus' version. Other standard GNOME options not listed here are also supported. SEE ALSO
Nautilus documentation can be found from the "Help" menu, or by pressing the F1 key. Nautilus also has a website at http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/ AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Takuo KITAME <kitame@debian.org> and Dafydd Harries <daf@muse.19inch.net> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 24 May 2004 Nautilus(1)