Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question regarding lm file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question regarding lm file Post 302197736 by era on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 02:20:47 PM
Old 05-21-2008
You mean how can you find out wich file directory entries are hard links to the same file? They will point to the same inode number (which you can see with ls -i) but there is no quick way to find which other directory entries point to that, you will basically have to scan the entire device to find the other(s).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file question

without using a file stream editor such as sed, is there a way to echo the value of a variable to a specific location in a file (i.e. if the file has 20 lines, can I add a new line with the contents of the variable FOO at line 1?) ? I should add that the file will be created during run time. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file deleting question

somehow one of my directories got a number of files whose names start with a dash - e.g. -1129.txt how can I remove them? If I issue rm -1129.txt I get the message of illegal options if I issue rm /-1129.txt I get a message that -1129.txt is not found Lisa HP-UX 11.23 i64 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mk file question

In a makefile when you specify something like.... xxx-xx: -$(yyy) $(zzz) What does the"-" (hyphen) before the "$" mean? (assuming xxx-xx is the target name) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixmat1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about output to file

Hi, I am try to setup a FOR loop script to find out all the existing linux workstations in the network w/ ip address, hostname and linux version. I created a basic FOR loop script: for i in $(seq 1 254) do echo 10.72.169.$i >> result ssh -o ConnectTimeout=3 root@10.72.169.$i "hostname"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beeloo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file question

Hi I did this command to tar the files but I got an error. tar -cvpf filename.tar pathname/ It did tar the file filename.tar but then it gave me this error "Reach end of file before expected". The new tar file is about 2GB. So does that mean my tar file limit is 2GB? Is there a max limit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaoses
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Question about crontab file!

Friends , I have the following questions about crontab file : 1) In crontab file I got the folllowing output : # cat /etc/crontab SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/ # run-parts 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 02 4 * * * root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

9. Solaris

File system - question?

Hello, I have few questions about file system in Unix and Linux. 1. What's the difference between Unix and Linux in their file system? Are they the same? 2. Is in Unix directory for administrator "/root" - like in Linux - Ubuntu or not? 3.Where is the users directory in Unix? Is it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niki22
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many pass in the file ,three question

Hi all Question 1: I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS after "FINISH" i Question 2: I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS" after the *last* "FINISH ,it shoud be 2 in this file Question 3. I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS between "789" and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
5 Replies
fslint-gui(1)							   User Commands						     fslint-gui(1)

NAME
fslint-gui - A GUI wrapper for the individual fslint command line tools SYNOPSIS
fslint-gui [OPTIONS] [PATHS] DESCRIPTION
fslint is a toolset to find various problems with filesystems, including duplicate files and problematic filenames etc. Individual command line tools are available in addition to the GUI and to access them, one can change to, or add to $PATH the /usr/share/fslint/fslint directory on a standard install. Each of these commands in that directory have a --help option which further details its parameters. findup - find DUPlicate files findnl - find Name Lint (problems with filenames) findu8 - find filenames with invalid utf8 encoding findbl - find Bad Links (various problems with symlinks) findsn - find Same Name (problems with clashing names) finded - find Empty Directories findid - find files with dead user IDs findns - find Non Stripped executables findrs - find Redundant Whitespace in files findtf - find Temporary Files findul - find possibly Unused Libraries zipdir - Reclaim wasted space in ext2 directory entries PARAMETERS
If [PATHS] are specified, they become the default search path, otherwise the current directory becomes the default. --version Display the fslint version and exit --help Display help for tool specific options AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <P@draigBrady.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Padraig Brady <P@draigBrady.com>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details, which is available at www.gnu.org fslint July 2009 fslint-gui(1)