Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/passwd $HOME
Operating Systems Solaris /etc/passwd $HOME Post 302197703 by jlliagre on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 12:58:47 PM
Old 05-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrgrayjr
I am not sure if matters but I am running solaris 10
It doesn't matter here.
It works fine with me on Solaris 10 too:

Code:
# ssh foo@localhost
Password: 
Last login: Wed May 21 19:54:19 2008 from localhost
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
$ pwd
/var/abc/AB!CD!DE/error
$ cat /etc/release
                        Solaris 10 8/07 s10x_u4wos_12b X86
           Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                            Assembled 16 August 2007
$ grep foo /etc/passwd
foo:x:10000:10000:Weird home directory:/var/abc/AB!CD!DE/error:/bin/ksh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd

Can anyone explain the second and third fields in /etc/passwd. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no /etc/passwd

Hello ppl, A small mistake of mine has led the /etc/passwd file deleted. So i went to rescue mode and used the following command echo "root::0:0:Superuser:/:/bin/bash" > passwd but that did not get effect in anyway way. when I switch back to normal mode the root is still asking for a passwd.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change home directory by modifying passwd

hi How can I change the home directory of a user without using usermod -d command? ( by modifying /etc/passwd) (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
17 Replies

5. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

6. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help

:( ---------- Post updated at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:50 AM ---------- Not working ---------- Post updated at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ---------- cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.`date` i am using this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
4 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)