Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rounding off the value of Floating point value Post 302197616 by damansingh on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 09:22:02 AM
Old 05-21-2008
Hi aju_kup,
Thanks for replying.

typeset -i var
var=100.500
echo $var

When i try your suggestion, it gives me an error which is:
check4.sh: line 2: 100.500: syntax error in expression (error token is ".500")

here check4.sh is the file which contained your suggested code.

I am working on KShell.

Please see to it.
ThanksSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point addition

hi, :) I have a file like this 10.456 123.567 456.876 234.987 ........ ....... What i want to do is ia have to add all those numbers and put the result in some other file. Any help pls. cheers RRK (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
8 Replies

2. Programming

floating point problem

Hi all! Hi all! I am working with a problem to find the smallest floating point number that can be represented. I am going in a loop ,stating with an initial value of 1.0 and then diving it by 10 each time thru the loop. So the first time I am getting o.1 which I wanted.But from the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

3. Programming

Floating point error in C

Hi, see the simple code below double i; i=8080.9940; printf(" val :%.30f\n",i); output i m getting is val :8080.993999999999700000000000000 when i m expecting val :8080.9940 what happens?how can i avoid it? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hara
2 Replies

4. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

5. Programming

Floating point Emulator

what is floating point emulator(FPE)? where and why it is used? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare 2 floating point no.

Hi, Could any one tell me how to compare to floating point no. using test command. As -eq option works on only intergers. i=5.4 if then echo "equal" else echo "not equal" fi here output will be equal even though no. are unequal. Thanks, ravi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point numbers in if

# if > then > echo "1" > else > echo "2" > fi -bash: How can i compare floating point numbers inside statement? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, floating point and rounding

I had a person bring an interesting problem to me that appears to involve some sort of rounding inside awk. I've verified this with awk and nawk on Solaris as well as with gawk 3.1.5 on a Linux box. The original code fragment he brought me was thus: for (index=0; index < 1; index=index+.1) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmyer2
4 Replies

9. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off to the nearest floating number

I have a number, which I want to convert into the nearest floating number upto two places after the decimal point. E.g. 1.2346 will become 1.23 but 1.2356 will become 1.24 . Similarly 0.009 will be 0.01 and 0.001 will be 0.00 or 0.0 (not 0, wnat to keep the decimal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hbar
1 Replies
write_rnd(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      write_rnd(3)

NAME
write_rnd, read_rnd - Sets and returns IEEE dynamic rounding mode for floating-point operations LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <float.h> unsigned int write_rnd( unsigned int rnd); unsigned int read_rnd(); DESCRIPTION
The write_rnd function sets the dynamic rounding mode in the floating-point control register (fpcr) for IEEE floating-point operations and returns the previous dynamic rounding mode. Dynamic rounding mode for IEEE floating-point operations is enabled for code generated by the C compiler by specifying -fprm d to cc(1), and by using the d floating-point instruction operator in assembly language code. Specify rnd as one of the following constants defined in float.h --------------------------------------------------- Constant Meaning --------------------------------------------------- FP_RND_RZ Round toward zero (chopped rounding) FP_RND_RN Round toward nearest (normal rounding) FP_RND_RP Round toward plus infinity FP_RND_RM Round toward minus infinity --------------------------------------------------- The read_rnd function returns the current dynamic rounding mode for floating-point operations. RETURN VALUES
The write_rnd function returns the previous IEEE floating-point rounding mode. The read_rnd function returns the current IEEE floating- point rounding mode. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1). Files: float.h. Assembly Language Programmer's Guide. Alpha Architecture Reference Manual. IEEE Standard for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic delim off write_rnd(3)