Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX NIM Problems creating a mksysb_resource Post 302197462 by bakunin on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 03:23:08 AM
Old 05-21-2008
NIM works via some remote-execution facility, usually rsh. Find out what is blocking the rsh from the master on the client. Starting points are: /etc/inetd.conf, /.rhosts, /etc/hosts, etc.. If you have a switch/router/whatever between master and client make sure it doesn't block the communication (protocol filter or something such).

Things should work fine if you are able to issue the following on the master and get a valid answer:

"rsh <client> date"

Ah, one more: nim works with port 1059 if i remember correctly, have a look if this is usable.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

2. AIX

Nim

Hello everyone I have two questions. 1.-The NIM and EZNIM are the same. 2.-If I have in one partition NIM installed I need to install EZNIM or I need to unistall NIM and then install EZNIM. Thanks for your comments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

4. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

7. AIX

Creating NIM SPOT using an existing mksysb from cliet

Hi, i backed up a test LPAR using mksyb utility on AIX. and transferred it to NIM server via NFS. I want to create a SPOT using this mksysb . Please explain me the procedure. And got something online, but that procedure is different. Please respond. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

8. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

9. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Problems creating and accessing with user

Hi, I have created the user 'mastersa' in several servers. I need to change the user ID to '0'. However, after doing this, I am not able to login (Access denied). Even after I change the password, I still get this error. Why is this? Also, when I attempt to delete the user account, I get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
RSHD(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   RSHD(8)

NAME
rshd -- remote shell server SYNOPSIS
rshd [-aiklnvxPL] [-p port] DESCRIPTION
rshd is the server for the rsh(1) program. It provides an authenticated remote command execution service. Supported options are: -n, --no-keepalive Disables keep-alive messages. Keep-alives are packets sent at certain intervals to make sure that the client is still there, even when it doesn't send any data. -k, --kerberos Assume that clients connecting to this server will use some form of Kerberos authentication. See the EXAMPLES section for a sample inetd.conf(5) configuration. -x, --encrypt For Kerberos 4 this means that the connections are encrypted. Kerberos 5 can negotiate encryption even without this option, but if it's present rshd will deny unencrypted connections. This option implies -k. -v, --vacuous If the connecting client does not use any Kerberised authentication, print a message that complains about this fact, and exit. This is helpful if you want to move away from old port-based authentication. -P When using the AFS filesystem, users' authentication tokens are put in something called a PAG (Process Authentication Group). Multi- ple processes can share a PAG, but normally each login session has its own PAG. This option disables the setpag() call, so all tokens will be put in the default (uid-based) PAG, making it possible to share tokens between sessions. This is only useful in peculiar environments, such as some batch systems. -i, --no-inetd The -i option will cause rshd to create a socket, instead of assuming that its stdin came from inetd(8). This is mostly useful for debugging. -p port, --port=port Port to use with -i. -a This flag is for backwards compatibility only. -L This flag enables logging of connections to syslogd(8). This option is always on in this implementation. FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv ~/.rhosts EXAMPLES
The following can be used to enable Kerberised rsh in inetd.cond(5), while disabling non-Kerberised connections: shell stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/rshd rshd -v kshell stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/rshd rshd -k ekshell stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/rshd rshd -kx SEE ALSO
rsh(1), iruserok(3) HISTORY
The rshd command appeared in 4.2BSD. AUTHORS
This implementation of rshd was written as part of the Heimdal Kerberos 5 implementation. HEIMDAL
November 22, 2002 HEIMDAL