Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to find all the files that contain any of the words present in another file Post 302197374 by penchal_boddu on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 12:44:33 AM
Old 05-21-2008
for i in `cat Full_path_of_D2/M1`
do
grep -l $i Full_path_of_D1/*
done

Thanks
Penchal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files with 2 or more words

I'm trying to find files that contain two or more specific words (e.g. all files with both "John" and "Mary" in them but not necessarily on the same line) but I don't know how to go about it. Maybe something like grep to find files with the first word, then grep the resulting set of files to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anita
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find common words and take them out from two files

Hi, everyone, Let's say, we have xxx.txt A 1 2 3 4 5 C 1 2 3 4 5 E 1 2 3 4 5 yyy.txt A 1 2 3 4 5 B 1 2 3 4 5 C 1 2 3 4 5 D 1 2 3 4 5 E 1 2 3 4 5 First I match the first column I find intersection (A,C, E), then I want to take those lines with ACE out from yyy.txt, like A 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp RAW files if JPEG file present

hi guys and girls, i have a folder containing RAW and JPG images. eg... 001.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 001.raw 002.raw 003.raw 004.raw 005.raw I want to copy only RAW files that have a corresponding JPG file in to a new folder. the jpg files do not need to be copied. in this example i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxylxy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list files not present in audio.txt file

I am having following folder structure. /root/audios/pop /root/audios/jazz /root/audios/rock Inside those pop, jazz, rock folders there are following files, p1.ul, p2.ul, p3.ul, j1.ul, j2.ul, j3.ul, r1.ul, r2.ul, r3.ul And I have a file named as "audio.txt" in the path /root/audios,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopikrish81
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a string that is present in the file or not?

Im pretty new to shell scripting, but i have got the jist of it over the past 10 weeks or so i have been using it. I just have one thing im stuck on thats bugging the hell out of me. Here it goes... I need a script that - You enter a filename and then a string which reports whether that string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waggie14
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to append multiple text files into one file based on pattern present in filaname

Hi All-I am new to Unix , I need to write a script. Can someone help me with a requirement where I have list of files in a directory, I want to Merge the files if a pattern of string matches in filenames? AAAL_555A_ORANGE1_F190404.TXT AAAL_555A_ORANGE2_F190404.TXT AAAL_555A_ORANGE3_F190404.TXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk code to find difference in second file which is not present in first file .

Hi All, I want to find difference between two files and output only lines which are not present in second file .I am using awk and I am getting only the first difference but I want to get all the lines which are not present in file2 .Below is the code I am using . Please help to get the desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasrao
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)