Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Restore
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Restore Post 302197296 by fabtagon on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 06:33:16 PM
Old 05-20-2008
i) a complete unix system hardly fits on a CD
ii) There's no way of restore common to all unices. There is no singly unix. What unix do you have? What hardware plattform? Is your CD a self-made backup or a sold CD?

(I am not going to scare you, but realisticly it is quite likely that you won't be successful unless somebody with unix experience helps you in real life, as these cases tend to be complicated (esp. for old systems) in general and get furthermore exacerbated if you don't know anything at all and remote people had to guess really a lot)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Restore of oracle 8i from hp unix 11.0 to HP unix 11i

Hi, We are planning to migrate oracle 8.1.7.2 (8i) currently installed on a host with HP unix 11.0 to a host with HP Unix 11i. The method we are adopting is backup and restore of all file systems. Could this be a problem, apart from linking libraries on the target system. Thanks for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitb
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

digital unix vdump restore in hp ux11i

Could you pls give a solution how to resotore the backup taken from digital unix using vdump to hp ux11i. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

hp unix backup&restore

Dear frnds, i am going to use hp-ux11i first time, actually migrated from true64unix(digital), Now confused with the backup and restore procedures, i was using vdump and vrestore in that which was really much comfortable.could you suggest which is best type backup(similar to vdump and vrestore)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
8 Replies

4. SCO

SCO UNIX tape restore

I am a mewbie to UNIX. I am using SCO Open Server 5 to run a legacy medical billing program "MDX" I have backup tapes made on HP DataStore8 which have the application and data files. Recently unable to login as individual user but can log into root. Previous commands that had restored the system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canbe842
5 Replies

5. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX Recycle Bin - restore function

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A set of Linux shell scripts is required to allow users to ‘remove' files without them really disappearing until... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: burn88
8 Replies
Net(3)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						    Net(3)

NAME
Gimp::Net - Communication module for the gimp-perl server. SYNOPSIS
use Gimp; DESCRIPTION
For Gimp::Net (and thus commandline and remote scripts) to work, you first have to install the "Perl-Server" extension somewhere where Gimp can find it (e.g in your .gimp/plug-ins/ directory). Usually this is done automatically while installing the Gimp extension. If you have a menu entry "<Xtns"/Perl-Server> then it is probably installed. The Perl-Server can either be started from the "<Xtns"> menu in Gimp, or automatically when a perl script can't find a running Perl-Server. When started from within The Gimp, the Perl-Server will create a unix domain socket to which local clients can connect. If an authorization password is given to the Perl-Server (by defining the environment variable "GIMP_HOST" before starting The Gimp), it will also listen on a tcp port (default 10009). Since the password is transmitted in cleartext, using the Perl-Server over tcp effectively lowers the security of your network to the level of telnet. Even worse: the current Gimp::Net-protocol can be used for denial of service attacks, i.e. crashing the Perl-Server. There also *might* be buffer-overflows (although I do care a lot for these). ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable "GIMP_HOST" specifies the default server to contact and/or the password to use. The syntax is [auth@][tcp/]host- name[:port] for tcp, [auth@]unix/local/socket/path for unix and spawn/ for a private gimp instance. Examples are: www.yahoo.com # just kidding ;) yahoo.com:11100 # non-standard port tcp/yahoo.com # make sure it uses tcp authorize@tcp/yahoo.com:123 # full-fledged specification unix/tmp/unx # use unix domain socket password@unix/tmp/test # additionally use a password authorize@ # specify authorization only spawn/ # use a private gimp instance spawn/nodata # pass --no-data switch spawn/gui # don't pass -n switch CALLBACKS
net() is called after we have succesfully connected to the server. Do your dirty work in this function, or see Gimp::Fu for a better solu- tion. FUNCTIONS
server_quit() sends the perl server a quit command. get_connection() return a connection id which uniquely identifies the current connection. set_connection(conn_id) set the connection to use on subsequent commands. "conn_id" is the connection id as returned by get_connection(). BUGS
(Ver 0.04) This module is much faster than it ought to be... Silly that I wondered wether I should implement it in perl or C, since perl is soo fast. AUTHOR
Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com> SEE ALSO
perl(1), Gimp. perl v5.8.0 2001-12-06 Net(3)