Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Yesterday in i.e. May 09 and 05/09 format Post 302197284 by joeyg on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 04:46:49 PM
Old 05-20-2008
Question What is meant by 09

You refer to May 09 becoming 05/09. What is the significance of the "09"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get yesterday date in yyyymmdd format

I would like to know how I could get a yesterday date in yyyymmdd e.g. today is 20011109, and I would like to get 20011108. Thank you!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_newbie
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yesterday's date

Does anyone know of an easy way to use the date function to get yesterday's date in this format: Nov 21 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

How can i get the yesterday's date in YYYYMMDD format

How can i get the yesterday's date in YYYYMMDD format??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadsr
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday

How to get the date before the current date on unix tru64? Today is 2008-02-27. I'll need 2008-02-26. Thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get yesterday in yyyymmdd format

how can i get yesterday in yyyymmdd format? :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron_fong
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello and I need help like in yesterday

I haven't been using linux very long( and when I say that its only been about 1 week for me) I was told to do the following: Create a Bash script that will copy all the files and subdirectories in one directory to a newly created directory. You may name the receiving directory anything you like.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reecygee
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get yesterday's date in year-month-day format?

Dear All, Actually, i'm doing some reporting job and i need to pass yesterday's date in Year-Month-Day format(e.g. 2009-06-10) to another program for generating 2009-06-10 report. to get today's date, it's easy to just date '+%Y%m%d' , but no idea how can i get this kind of format for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl yesterday's date in mmddyyyy format

Hi, Below command is producing yesaterday's date in mmddyy format - perl -e '@T=localtime(time-86400);printf("%02d%02d%02d",$T+1,$T,($T+1900)%100)' But i want the date in mmddyyyy format; plz help. Thankx, Rahul Bahulekar. ---------- Post updated at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulbahulekar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl one-liner to get yesterday's date in format dd-MMM-yy (i.e. 01-JAN-12)

I have the following perl one-liner to get yesterday's date, but I would like it in the form of dd-MMM-yy (for example: 01-JAN-12). Can someone alter the below code so I get the format I want? Also, could someone also give me a line for dd-Mmm-yy (for example 01-Jan-12)? Code: YEST=`perl -w... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Yesterday

hi guys i want to know how can i insert in a variable yesterday for example : today=`date +%Y%m%d` yesterday =??? thanks a lot Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
4 Replies
basename(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      basename(1B)

NAME
basename - display portions of pathnames SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/basename string [suffix] DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in `/' and the suffix, if present in string. It directs the result to the standard output, and is normally used inside substitution marks (` `) within shell procedures. The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the basename command. This shell procedure invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current direc- tory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 basename(1B)