Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array Printing Inline
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array Printing Inline Post 302197152 by era on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 08:58:35 AM
Old 05-20-2008
The a2p script which ships with Perl can convert many awk scripts to Perl, although the result is not always pretty. The answer to "possible in Perl" would be "yes" in any event; anything awk can do, Perl can do too. (Computer science has a formal proof but I expect you don't want it.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing all array values using dbx 7.2.1

how do we print the entire contents of arrays in dbx ? Ive tried using print x to print values 1 to 5 of the array x, however dbx complains and doesnt allow this help is much appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems iwith colors while printing from dynamic array at runtime..

Hi Perl folks, I am having problems printing elements from an array at runtime. I wish to push elements into array at runtime and the print it later. Now I wish to print this matrix using colors. So I do something like this to enter the runtime values in array: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing array elements inside AWK

i just want to dump my array and see if it contains the values i am expecting. It should print as follows, ignore=345fht ignore=rthfg56 . . . ignore=49568g Here is the code. Is this even possible to do? please help termReport.pl < $4 | dos2ux | head -2000 | awk ' BEGIN... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing sorted array of numbers

Dear All, I am trying to sort an array of numbers to retrieve the mimimum and maximum values of numbers in that array, by printing the first and last elements of the sorted array. My code is @sorted_numbers = sort (@numbers); print "@sorted_numbers\n"; print "$sorted_numbers,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing array elements

Is there a way to print multiple array elements without iterating through the array using bash? Can you do something like... echo ${array}and get all those separate elements from the array? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution in array printing

Hi folks, A really dumb question as I've wasted far too long trying to get this to work.... (on RH bash) I have an array: m0='<hello>' m0='<there>' m0='<fred>' v0='<goodbye>' v0='<again>' v0='<john>' in my code I calculate the value of the variable to output and if I echo it, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command hash array not printing

I'm new to awk command. The HASH ARRAY is not printing. Merging 2 files togather. vault_input.txt 3P04_Dep_Inxml:2230 REM02_Dep_Inxml:2200 REM03_Dep_Inxml:2400 REM05:2200 REM06:2200 tst6.txt Nov:10:2115:3P04_Dep_Inxml Nov:10:2129:REM02_Dep_Inxml Nov:10:2235:REM03_Dep_Inxml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanj123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing array elements in reverse

Hello Experts, I am trying to print an array in reverse. Input : 1. Number of array elements 2. The array. Eg: 4 1 2 3 4 Expected Output (elements separated by a space) : 4 3 2 1 My Code : (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array not printing values if used in a loop

Hello! I'm making an English to Morse Code translator and I was able to mostly get it all working by looking through older posts here; however, I have one small problem. When I run it it's just printing spaces for where the characters should be. It runs the right amount of times, and if I try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoleman10
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk_ printing non-match in the array

Dear developpers, I intend to compare the file1 to the file2 based on the values of column 1 in file1. However, the current code - that I modified from the forum- only print matches. I am wondering if there is a solution to have both matches and non matches being printed. Many thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsalane
4 Replies
bytes(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      bytes(3perl)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 bytes(3perl)