Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting fetchmail - log file size limitation Post 302197089 by nua7 on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 07:29:42 AM
Old 05-20-2008
MySQL

This is what is specified in the man page for fetchmail.

"The --syslog option (keyword: set syslog) allows you to redirect status and error messages emitted to the syslog(3) system daemon if available. Messages are logged with an id of fetchmail, the facility LOG_MAIL, and priorities LOG_ERR, LOG_ALERT or LOG_INFO. This option is intended for logging status and error messages which indicate the status of the daemon and the results while fetching mail from the server(s). Error messages for command line options and parsing the .fetchmailrc file are still written to stderr, or to the specified log file. The --nosyslog option turns off use of syslog(3), assuming it's turned on in the ~/.fetchmailrc file, or that the -L or --logfile <file> option was used."

But I think you should go with option 1 , of restarting the daemon.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Size Limitation for a user directory

Hi all, I want to set a size limitation for some user in the system, for an example, each user only have 5MB free space in the system. The user cannot user more than 5 MB space. Is it possible to do this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: felix_koo
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i - File Size Limitation And Number Of Folders Limitation

Hi All, Can anyone please clarify me the following questions: 1. Is there any file size limitation in HP-UX 11i, that I can able to create upto certain size of file (say 2 GB) and not more then that???? 2. At max. how many files we can able to keep inside a folder???? 3. How many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundeep_mohanty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size limitation of unix sort command.

hi , iam trying to sort millions of records which is delimited and i cant able to use sort command more than 60 million..if i try to do so i got an message stating that "File size limit exceeded",Is there any file size limit for using sort command.. How can i solve this problem. thanks ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
7 Replies

4. Linux

File size limitation for rcp

Hi I am trying to rcp a file from Solaris box to Linux. When the file size is 2,205,255,047, the rcp fails with the message Jan 10 01:11:53 hqsas167 rsh: pam_authenticate: error Authentication failed However when I rcp a file with smaller size - 9,434,477 - the rcp completes with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schoubal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size limitation in Tar command

Hi to every body there, I am new this forum and this is my first post. I am a new user of Unix, is there any size limitation of files while creating tar file. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manvar Khan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command -size option limitation ?

Hi All, I ran code in test environment to find the files more than 1TB given below is a snippet from code: FILE_SYSTEM=/home/arun MAX_FILE_LIMIT=1099511627776 find $FILE_SYSTEM -type f -size +"$MAX_FILE_LIMIT"c -ls -xdev 2>/dev/null | while read fname do echo "File larger than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How to extend 2 GB file size limitation

Hello All, I am using a SunOS machine. My application creates output files for the downstream systems. However output files are restricted to 2GB of file size in SunOS due to which I am forced to create multiple files which is not supported by the downstream due to some limitations. Is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasupuleti81
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

size for sum variable limitation on awk

Hello first, truth been told, I'm not even close to be advanced user. I'm posting here because maybe my question is complicated enough to need your expert help I need to use awk (or nawk - I don't have gawk) to validate some files by computing the total sum for a large numeric variable. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwitarsa
1 Replies

9. Linux

File size limitation in Linux

Hi friends, I tried to take a backup of my PC using tar command. But it ended with an error tar: /home/backup/back.tar.gz: Cannot write: No space left on device tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now But i checked the disk space and there is enough space is available. ]# df Filesystem... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva3492
11 Replies

10. Linux

File size limitation in the EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hello Friends, I tried to take tar backup in my server, but it ended with an error. It said that: /home/back/pallava_backup/fbackup_backup/stape_config /home/back/romam_new.tar.gz tar: /home/backup/back.tar.gz: Cannot write: No space left on device tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva3492
10 Replies
syslog(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						syslog(3C)

NAME
syslog, openlog, closelog, setlogmask - control system log SYNOPSIS
#include <syslog.h> void openlog(const char *ident, int logopt, int facility); void syslog(int priority, const char *message, .../* arguments */); void closelog(void); int setlogmask(int maskpri); DESCRIPTION
The syslog() function sends a message to syslogd(1M), which, depending on the configuration of /etc/syslog.conf, logs it in an appropriate system log, writes it to the system console, forwards it to a list of users, or forwards it to syslogd on another host over the network. The logged message includes a message header and a message body. The message header consists of a facility indicator, a severity level indicator, a timestamp, a tag string, and optionally the process ID. The message body is generated from the message and following arguments in the same manner as if these were arguments to printf(3UCB), except that occurrences of %m in the format string pointed to by the message argument are replaced by the error message string associated with the current value of errno. A trailing NEWLINE character is added if needed. Symbolic constants for use as values of the logopt, facility, priority, and maskpri arguments are defined in the <syslog.h> header. Values of the priority argument are formed by ORing together a severity level value and an optional facility value. If no facility value is specified, the current default facility value is used. Possible values of severity level include, in decreasing order: LOG_EMERG A panic condition. This is normally broadcast to all users. LOG_ALERT A condition that should be corrected immediately, such as a corrupted system database. LOG_CRIT Critical conditions, such as hard device errors. LOG_ERR Errors. LOG_WARNING Warning messages. LOG_NOTICE Conditions that are not error conditions, but that may require special handling. LOG_INFO Informational messages. LOG_DEBUG Messages that contain information normally of use only when debugging a program. The facility indicates the application or system component generating the message. Possible facility values include: LOG_KERN Messages generated by the kernel. These cannot be generated by any user processes. LOG_USER Messages generated by random user processes. This is the default facility identifier if none is specified. LOG_MAIL The mail system. LOG_DAEMON System daemons, such as in.ftpd(1M). LOG_AUTH The authentication / security / authorization system: login(1), su(1M), getty(1M). LOG_LPR The line printer spooling system: lpr(1B), lpc(1B). LOG_NEWS Designated for the USENET network news system. LOG_UUCP Designated for the UUCP system; it does not currently use syslog(). LOG_CRON The cron/at facility; crontab(1), at(1), cron(1M). LOG_AUDIT The audit facility, for example, auditd(1M). LOG_LOCAL0 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL1 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL2 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL3 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL4 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL5 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL6 Designated for local use. LOG_LOCAL7 Designated for local use. The openlog() function sets process attributes that affect subsequent calls to syslog(). The ident argument is a string that is prepended to every message. The openlog() function uses the passed-in ident argument directly, rather than making a private copy of it. The logopt argument indicates logging options. Values for logopt are constructed by a bitwise-inclusive OR of zero or more of the following: LOG_PID Log the process ID with each message. This is useful for identifying specific daemon processes (for daemons that fork). LOG_CONS Write messages to the system console if they cannot be sent to syslogd(1M). This option is safe to use in daemon processes that have no controlling terminal, since syslog() forks before opening the console. LOG_NDELAY Open the connection to syslogd(1M) immediately. Normally the open is delayed until the first message is logged. This is use- ful for programs that need to manage the order in which file descriptors are allocated. LOG_ODELAY Delay open until syslog() is called. LOG_NOWAIT Do not wait for child processes that have been forked to log messages onto the console. This option should be used by pro- cesses that enable notification of child termination using SIGCHLD, since syslog() may otherwise block waiting for a child whose exit status has already been collected. The facility argument encodes a default facility to be assigned to all messages that do not have an explicit facility already encoded. The initial default facility is LOG_USER. The openlog() and syslog() functions may allocate a file descriptor. It is not necessary to call openlog() prior to calling syslog(). The closelog() function closes any open file descriptors allocated by previous calls to openlog() or syslog(). The setlogmask() function sets the log priority mask for the current process to maskpri and returns the previous mask. If the maskpri argument is 0, the current log mask is not modified. Calls by the current process to syslog() with a priority not set in maskpri are rejected. The mask for an individual priority pri is calculated by the macro LOG_MASK(pri); the mask for all priorities up to and includ- ing toppri is given by the macro LOG_UPTO(toppri). The default log mask allows all priorities to be logged. RETURN VALUES
The setlogmask() function returns the previous log priority mask. The closelog(), openlog() and syslog() functions return no value. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Example of LOG_ALERT message. This call logs a message at priority LOG_ALERT: syslog(LOG_ALERT, "who: internal error 23"); The FTP daemon ftpd would make this call to openlog() to indicate that all messages it logs should have an identifying string of ftpd, should be treated by syslogd(1M) as other messages from system daemons are, should include the process ID of the process logging the mes- sage: openlog("ftpd", LOG_PID, LOG_DAEMON); Then it would make the following call to setlogmask() to indicate that messages at priorities from LOG_EMERG through LOG_ERR should be logged, but that no messages at any other priority should be logged: setlogmask(LOG_UPTO(LOG_ERR)); Then, to log a message at priority LOG_INFO, it would make the following call to syslog: syslog(LOG_INFO, "Connection from host %d", CallingHost); A locally-written utility could use the following call to syslog() to log a message at priority LOG_INFO to be treated by syslogd(1M) as other messages to the facility LOG_LOCAL2 are: syslog(LOG_INFO|LOG_LOCAL2, "error: %m"); ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), logger(1), login(1), lpc(1B), lpr(1B), auditd(1M), cron(1M), getty(1M), in.ftpd(1M), su(1M), syslogd(1M), printf(3UCB), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Mar 2009 syslog(3C)