Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users which one method is best for debugging the shell script? Post 302196982 by psiva_arul on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 02:45:33 AM
Old 05-20-2008
which one method is best for debugging the shell script?

Hi All,
How to debug the unix shell script? which one is the best way to do the debuging ?

suggession would be appreciate

Regards,
Siva P
Bangalore

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HP-UX Debugging Shell script

Hi, I was using AIX - ksh shell , and inorder to debug shell script I used set -vx to echo all the commands which are being executed. Can anybody tell me the corresponding method in HP-UX - in tcsh shell. Regards Shihab (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

debugging the shell script with out actually running

Hello, Some one asked me in the inteview.... The question is, How do we debug the schell script before even running..... Interviewer told me one clue... There is SET command to accomplish this... Can any one tell me what kind of set commands.... Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging shell scripts

Any there any utilities or ways of debugging shell scripts? I know something like: sh -x <script> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Java Method from UNIX using shell script

Hi All, I need to call a java method from a shell script. I know we can use the command java ClassName to call the main method in it. But I need to call another method that is there in the class and pass an email to it. Can I use java ClassName.MethodName(email) Any help will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulK
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging a beginner shell script...

I have been following a tutorial on bash which has proven to be very helpful. However, i am stuck with a command not found issue when asking for a y/n response from the user. Below is the part of code I believe is giving me grief... I have been trying to work through this for 3 hours now.... Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brokepunk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging mode while executing Unix Shell Scripting

Hi, Is there any debugging tool for Unix Shell Script like we have gdb in C/C++? Also please let me know how to close the thread is it automatic or we have to close it manually. Thanks and Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diehard
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script debugging

hi all only the weirdest thing happened with me just now. I was debugging a shell script and I found that a step that was supposed to execute later was getting executed prior to another step for no reason. You know any ? i mean have a look at the following command- here it tries to grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
7 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Method to run a shell script using shortcut key in keyboard with out logging to putty

Dear All, I want to run a shell script with out logging to putty but configuring it to a keyboard short cut it windows PC. Can this be done? I want this to rename a log in a specified folder in a system Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chi_SL
8 Replies

9. Solaris

HTTP Debugging Method

Hi, I need to disable HTTPD debugging method in one server. I added the entry 'TraceEnable off' in /etc/apache/httpd.conf. I restart httpd for the changes to take effect, however I realize now that httpd is actually 'disabled'. When I try to enable httpd, it shows the status as being in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple Shell script help IF ELSE METHOD

I am a beginner at shell scripting and was trying to attempt this question : Write a shell script to prompt the user to input her/his age and print it on the screen only if the entered age is less than 30 (e.g. 𝑌𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑎𝑔𝑒 𝑖𝑠 20 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑜𝑙𝑑 However, when I run the script below and enter in a number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggrules
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD