Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confused about redirecting output from awk. Post 302196976 by rubin on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 02:31:42 AM
Old 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by face1
... Why is this, and what can I do about it? ...
You need to use temporary files, otherwise you're going to hit OS limits:

Code:
find . -name "*.php" | xargs -i awk '{f=FILENAME; gsub(/replacethis/, "with this"); print > f".tmp"} END{printf ("mv  %s %s\n", f".tmp", f ) | "sh"}' '{}'

Insert as many gsub functions in the awk statement as needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused on ls -l output

Here is my output from ls -l: drwxr-xr-x 2 username username 4096 2005-12-27 09:51 bin drwxr-xr-x 2 username username 4096 2006-01-30 13:03 Desktop drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 2006-01-30 09:13 somedirectory drwxr-xr-x 6 username username 4096 2005-12-15 08:09 mystuff drwxr-xr-x ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting to different output files with awk.

Well, it didn't take me long to get stumped again. I assure you that I'm not mentally deficient, just new to scripting. So, here's the gist. I want to redirect output from awk based off of which branch of an if-else statement under which it falls. #!/bin/bash #some variables... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting output using if-then-else in awk

I am trying to filter records based on number of "|", delimiter in my application. If number of "|" is greater than 14 its a bad record, else its a good record. I have to redirect output to two different files based on the if-then-else evaluation in AWK. if number of “|” in file_0 > 14 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print Error While Redirecting output in multiple Files

Hi, I have a following code in which I am unable to redirect to multiple files. Can anybody please help with some corrections awk -F, '{ if ( substr($1,26,2)=="02" && substr($1,184,14)=="MTSCC_VALFIRST") { array1++ array2++ array3++ } else if (substr($1,26,2)=="03" &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, I have created script which redirect the output to file.I am able to get the output in file but not in the format. Output :Content of the log which have 10 -15 lines. Actal :Line1 ..Line 2Line3 Line4 Line 5 Expected:Line1 Line 2 Line3 Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik771
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output using if with awk

I have this line were I am selecting some fields from one file and creating a new file for the selected data. awk -F "\"*,\"*" '{print $1"," $2}' folderone/list.txt > folderone/qlist.txt This works, but then from this new file I want it to create a new file where it separates data: $2 >5 it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rluna
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Confused about redirecting stderr

I know that mmmmm 2> error.txt will send the error message to the specified file instead of the screen. However, I have seen >&2 in some scripts, and I can't get it to do anything. A source said it sends stdout and stderr to a file. What file? Ubuntu 18.04.2; Xfce 4.12.3;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)