Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using find cmd to find certain files Post 302196934 by ali560045 on Tuesday 20th of May 2008 12:48:39 AM
Old 05-20-2008
yes that is true......but u know i first need to find those files and then copy it to a dir......if i use redirect the it would only copy the name and not the contents

ls -ltr | grep "Mar" >> files_info.txt

------------------------------------

so i want to use find command to list all the Mar files....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find cmd not working as expected

Hi, i wan to search the file starting with Admin into the directory Output. I am running below command: find /appl/Output -name "Admin*" -prune but this command is going into the sub directories present under output. I do not want to search under sub directories. Any help will be highly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal123
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find cmd not working correctly in script

I am trying to copy 2 types of files so I can archive them. I tested with a set of commands: touch -t $(date -d "-60 day" +%Y%m%d) WORKDIR/REF find TARGETDIR/ -type f -maxdepth 1 -iname \*.out\* -or -iname \*.log\* ! -newer WORKDIR/REF -exec ls -l {} \; This correctly lists any files in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prismtx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date with find cmd

Hi for today i have 10 files, in that i need search some values how can i write a find cmd with perticular date thanks SAIC (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saic
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to link lsof and find cmd?

Hi All, My target is to find the biggest files opened by any process and from that i have to find process id and the corresponding file also to avoid file system being hung-up. Finding the process id: is to kill the process Finding the biggest file: is to remove the file To get the process... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find cmd works different on cron job ?

/usr/bin/find $SEARCH_DIR -daystart \( \( -name 'KI*' -a -name '*.csv' \) -o -name '*_xyz_*' \) -mtime $DAYS_AGO -printf %f -printf "\n" | sort -r > $FILES The above command gives different results when run on a cron job. When run manually the result is accurate. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested find cmd

Hi gurus, greetings. Objective: find in a path directories that are named Logs. In each found Logs dir search for files with .log extension and remove -atime +6. (Note for test/example, rm and -atime is not used). Issue: If I execute the script without redirecting output to a file, on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with the find cmd

Hello, I'm having a trouble with the find cmd. I would like to find all the java versions on my systems. I have solaris 9 & 10 RHEL and SUSIE. java -version doesn't give all the versions on the server. So I am trying to use the find command to find them all find / -name java I would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX cmd -find empty files in folder else sleep for 8hrs

Hello, I am trying to write a unix cmd , that if files in folder /path/FTP are all zero kb or empty then good to go, if not empty then sleep for 8 hrs. Following cmd list me the files which are not empty, But when I am incorporating IF ELSE cmd fails find /path/FTP. -type f -exec wc -l {}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluestarmoon
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find cmd and sym links

Hi. Can somebody tell me if there's a way of creating a symbolic link from a directory on one filesystem to that on another that will allow a find command that doesn't use the -L param to locate a particular file under that new 'linked' dir. With a normal sym link the find command on that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies
PIPE(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe -- create descriptor pair for interprocess communication SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int *fildes); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates a pipe, which is an object allowing unidirectional data flow, and allocates a pair of file descriptors. The first descriptor connects to the read end of the pipe, and the second connects to the write end, so that data written to fildes[1] appears on (i.e., can be read from) fildes[0]. This allows the output of one program to be sent to another program: the source's standard output is set up to be the write end of the pipe, and the sink's standard input is set up to be the read end of the pipe. The pipe itself persists until all its associated descriptors are closed. A pipe whose read or write end has been closed is considered widowed. Writing on such a pipe causes the writing process to receive a SIGPIPE signal. Widowing a pipe is the only way to deliver end-of-file to a reader: after the reader consumes any buffered data, reading a widowed pipe returns a zero count. RETURN VALUES
On successful creation of the pipe, zero is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the variable errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2), socketpair(2) HISTORY
A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution