Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem assigning values to variable Post 302196914 by finalight on Monday 19th of May 2008 09:37:37 PM
Old 05-19-2008
problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG

i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this:
name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8`

it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement

the $line is actually a variable in a loop for reading line by line in a file.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in assigning values to variables

Hi, I have some problem in assigning values to variables: This is what Iam literally doing: i=0 input=test temp$i = $input In the sense, I try to assign the value in the variable input (ie., test) to another variable temp0 (since i is assigned 0, temp$i is temp0). Seems simple, but I get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning values to a variable

i try to get the year and month values using the below shell script when i enter the script like this #!/usr/bin/ksh dd=`DATE +%Y%M` echo $dd it is showing the error as shown below abc.ksh: DATE: not found any suggestions please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple values to a variable

Hi Guru`s, I have to write a prog. which will traverse through diff. directories and then extract some data from files. I have written it and its working fine. But I have tested it in 1 folder. There are many folders and I need to loop through each of them. I am not sure abt the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh help assigning specific values to variable in script

Hi - Help needed. I have an input file that looks something like this, but with a lot more entries: A Customer1 B 4500 C 8000 A Customer2 B 6422 C 8922 I need to be able to print details for each customer on one line per customer. ie. if I could print these to a file and then cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a set of values to a variable

I wnat to assign a set of values to a variable and use it in if condition. for example: i=$1 d=1 2 3 4 5 6 if then echo "Fine" else echo "Check" fi i will either of the value in d, i.e. i can be 1 or 2 or any value in d, How this can be done? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning variable

suppose in my script i have written a1=2 a2=4 read option # I directly want to see the value of a1 or a2 (i:e; 1 or2 )depending upon i/p given like a1 or a2 to option var.so what should i give .Suppose if I give a1 to option then how can I see the value. echo $$option --- doesn't work pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with assigning multiple values to a variable

I have a situation where my variable needs to pick up any of the 4 values from the environment it is in for e.g i am on server named a server=a (script running on this server) ftp servers= b c d e ----- the parameter passed should be any of these values in these 4 values, if not throw an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies
CONFGET(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CONFGET(1)

NAME
confget -- read a variable from a configuration file SYNOPSIS
confget [-cSx] [-N | -n] [-f filename] [-m pattern] [-P postfix] [-p prefix] [-s section] [-t type] varname... confget [-] [-N | -n] [-f filename] [-m pattern] [-P postfix] [-p prefix] [-s section] [-t type] -L pattern... confget [-] [-N | -n] [-f filename] [-m pattern] [-P postfix] [-p prefix] [-s section] [-t type] -l confget [-hTV] DESCRIPTION
The confget utility examines a INI-style configuration file and retrieves the value of the specified variables from the specified section. Its intended use is to let shell scripts use the same INI-style configuration files as other programs, to avoid duplication of data. The confget utility may retrieve the values of one or more variables, list all the variables in a specified section, list only those whose names or values match a specified pattern (shell glob or regular expression), or check if a variable is present in the file at all. It has a ``shell-quoting'' output mode that quotes the variable values in a way suitable for passing them directly to a Bourne-style shell. Options: -c Check-only mode; exit with a code of 0 if any of the variables are present in the configuration file, and 1 if there are none. -f filename Specify the configuration file to read from, or ``-'' (a single dash) for standard input. -h Display program usage information and exit. -L Variable list mode; display the names and values of all variables in the specified section with names matching one or more specified patterns. -l List mode; display the names and values of all variables in the specified section. -m pattern Only display variables with if their values match the specified pattern. -N Always display the variable name along with the value. -n Never display the variable name, only the value. -P postfix Display this string after the variable name as a postfix. -p prefix Display this string before the variable name as a prefix. -S Quote the variable values so that the ``var=value'' lines may be passed directly to the Bourne shell. -s section Specify the configuration section to read. If this option is not specified, confget will use the first section found in the configuration file. However, if the configuration file contains variable definitions before a section header, confget will only examine them instead. -T List the available configuration file types that may be selected by the -t option. -t type Specify the configuration file type. -V Display program version information and exit. -x Treat the patterns as regular expressions instead of shell glob patterns. ENVIRONMENT
Not taken into consideration. EXIT STATUS
If the -c option is specified, the confget utility will exit with a status of 0 if any of the specified variables exist in the config file and 1 if none of them are present. In normal operation, no matter whether any variables were found in the configuration file or not, the confget utility exits with a status of 0 upon normal completion. If any errors should occur while accessing or parsing the configuration file, the confget utility will display a diagnostic message on the standard error stream and exit with a status of 1. EXAMPLES
Retrieve the variable machine_id from the system section of a configuration file: confget -f h.conf -s system machine_id Retrieve the page_id variable from an HTTP GET request, but only if it is a valid number: confget -f- -t http_get -x -m '^+$' page_id Retrieve the variable hostname from the db section, but only if it ends in ``.ringlet.net'': confget -f h.conf -s db -m '*.ringlet.net' hostname Display the names and values of all variables in the system section with names beginning with ``mach'' or ending in ``name'', appending a ``cfg_'' at the start of each variable name: confget -f h.conf -s system -p 'cfg_' -L 'mach*' '*name' Display the names and values of all variables in the system section: confget -f h.conf -s system -l Safely read the contents of the db section: eval `confget -f h.conf -s db -p db_ -S -l` SEE ALSO
For another way to parse INI files, see the Config::IniFiles(3) Perl module. STANDARDS
No standards documentation was harmed in the process of creating confget. BUGS
Please report any bugs in confget to the author. AUTHOR
The confget utility was conceived and written by Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> in 2008. BSD
October 25, 2008 BSD