Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sort by date and concatenate first three Post 302196784 by jlarios on Monday 19th of May 2008 01:05:45 PM
Old 05-19-2008
Thank you for the code Smilie. it works however I did not think of the case where the system could go down and I could have 6 or x files to read.

Hence, how would I get the files that are yesterday's only even if they are mixed up with older-than-yesterday files?

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate date to file name

Hi, I have written a script to rename a file, but I can not add the current date (in YYYYMMDD-HHMM format) can you please look at this cript, and help? thanks, #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh -f set server = "$1" set user = "$2" if (-f $server) then \mv $server $server.Saar. endif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sierra_aar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by Date

I'm looking to edit a file which contains various data including date.(ddmmyyyy) I want to sort by date and then count the number of different dates found Any ideas how to acheive this Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
2 Replies

3. Solaris

concatenate/sort/cut

I have the following requirement. 1. I have to concatenate the 10 fixed width files. 2. sort based on first 10 characters 3. after that i have remove first 10 chacters from the file. can you please tell me how to do it. Thanks in Advance Samba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samba
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate files sorted by date

I am a beginner in script writing, i tried to do the following I have a set of files sorted by date in the format YYMMDD.s and .x and .r I need to concatenate a header file to these sets of files so I used the following code echo "enter Swath number" read s echo "please enter first date and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort by the date

Hello World~ Please Help Me(BASH) input: dde,2007.8.25,891 dde,2007.8.23,356 dfe,2007.10.12,341 cba,2005.12.5,342 I wanna know how to sort by the date(2005.12.5) output: cba,2005.12.5,342 dde,2007.8.23,356 dde,2007.8.25,891 dfe,2007.10.12,341 Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the date

Hi All, Please help me to sort the date field which is in the format 2012-02-03 16:09:37.388... Platform: Red Hat linux Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate many files which contents the same date as part of name file

Gents, I have lot of files in a folder where each file name includes the date of generation, then I would like to merge all the files for each date in a complete file. list of files in forder. dsd01_121104.txt dsd01_121105.txt dsd01_121106.txt dsd03_121104.txt dsd03_121105.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by name and date

nawk '$1=="Date" {d=$(NF-2);next} $1=="Queue" {q=$NF;next} $1=="Forms"{print q, $NF, d}' OFS='|' printfile.log I have this script working. Please let me know how to sort by Queue and then Date. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate and sort to remove duplicates

Following is the input. 1st and 3rd block are same(block starts here with '*' and ends before blank line) , 2nd and 4th blocks are also the same: cat <file> * Wed Feb 24 2016 Tariq Saeed <tariq.x.saeed@mail.com> 2.0.7-1.0.7 - add vmcore dump support for ocfs2 * Mon Jun 8 2015 Brian Maly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
4 Replies
Jifty::DateTime(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Jifty::DateTime(3pm)

NAME
Jifty::DateTime - a DateTime subclass that knows about Jifty users SYNOPSIS
use Jifty::DateTime; # Get the current date and time my $dt = Jifty::DateTime->now; # Print out the pretty date (i.e., today, tomorrow, yesterday, or 2007-09-11) Jifty->web->out( $dt->friendly_date ); # Better date parsing my $dt_from_human = Jifty::DateTime->new_from_string("next Saturday"); DESCRIPTION
Jifty natively stores timestamps in the database in GMT. Dates are stored without timezone. This class loads and parses dates and sets them into the proper timezone. To use this DateTime class to it's fullest ability, you'll need to add a "time_zone" method to your application's user object class. This is the class returned by "user_object" in Jifty::CurrentUser. It must return a value valid for using as an argument to DateTime's "set_time_zone()" method. new ARGS See "new" in DateTime. If we get what appears to be a date, then we keep this in the floating datetime. Otherwise, set this object's timezone to the current user's time zone, if the current user's user object has a method called "time_zone". now ARGS See "now" in DateTime. If a time_zone argument is passed in, then this wrapper is effectively a no-op. OTHERWISE this will always set this object's timezone to the current user's timezone. Without this, DateTime's "now" will set the timezone to UTC always (by passing "time_zone => 'UTC'" to "Jifty::DateTime::new". We want Jifty::DateTime to always reflect the current user's timezone (unless otherwise requested, of course). from_epoch ARGS See "from_epoch" in DateTime and "now" in Jifty::DateTime. This handles the common mistake of "from_epoch($epoch)" as well. current_user [CURRENTUSER] When setting the current user, update the timezone appropriately. If an "undef" current user is passed, this method will find the correct current user and set the time zone. current_user_has_timezone Return timezone if the current user has one. This is determined by checking to see if the current user has a user object. If it has a user object, then it checks to see if that user object has a "time_zone" method and uses that to determine the value. set_current_user_timezone [DEFAULT_TZ] set_current_user_time_zone [DEFAULT_TZ] Set this Jifty::DateTime's timezone to the current user's timezone. If that's not available, then use the passed in DEFAULT_TZ (or GMT if not passed in). Returns the Jifty::DateTime object itself. If your subclass changes this method, please override "set_current_user_timezone" not "set_current_user_time_zone", since the latter is merely an alias for the former. new_from_string STRING[, ARGS] Take some user defined string like "tomorrow" and turn it into a "Jifty::Datetime" object. If a "time_zone" argument is passed in, that is used for the input time zone. If the string appears to be a _date_, the output time zone will be floating. Otherwise, the output time zone will be the current user's time zone. As of this writing, this uses Date::Manip along with some internal hacks to alter the way Date::Manip normally interprets week day names. This may change in the future. friendly_date Returns the date given by this "Jifty::DateTime" object. It will display "today" for today, "tomorrow" for tomorrow, or "yesterday" for yesterday. Any other date will be displayed in "ymd" format. We currently shift by "24 hours" to detect yesterday and tomorrow, rather than "1 day" because of daylight saving issues. "1 day" can result in invalid local time errors. is_date Returns whether or not this "Jifty::DateTime" object represents a date (without a specific time). Dates in Jifty are in the floating time zone and are set to midnight. get_tz_offset Returns the offset for a time zone. If there is no current user, or the current user's time zone is unset, then UTC will be used. The optional datetime argument lets you calculate an offset for some time other than "right now". jifty_serialize_format This returns a DateTime (or string) consistent with Jifty's date format. WHY
? There are other ways to do some of these things and some of the decisions here may seem arbitrary, particularly if you read the code. They are. These things are valuable to applications built by Best Practical Solutions, so it's here. If you disagree with the policy or need to do it differently, then you probably need to implement something yourself using a DateTime::Format::* class or your own code. Parts may be cleaned up and the API cleared up a bit more in the future. SEE ALSO
DateTime, DateTime::TimeZone, Jifty::CurrentUser LICENSE
Jifty is Copyright 2005-2010 Best Practical Solutions, LLC. Jifty is distributed under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-01-24 Jifty::DateTime(3pm)