Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need help on how to read command in unix Post 302196684 by raoscb on Monday 19th of May 2008 07:43:59 AM
Old 05-19-2008
Error need help on how to read command in unix

thanks ray.
i have seen the below code.but i am not getting wht the "line" signifies in the read command?i am very new to unix scripting.could you please write elabrately somethign in the code.
coming to search pattern i have to search at 14and15 postion of the record whether it equals to '6h' or not.if so i have to write that coressponding record into a separate file.

i really appreciate your help.

advancedthanks
narasimharao.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

while using read command I want too.....

This is the greatest site ever, only my second day of use and the responses and advice I got from yesterdays question were great.. Now for todays question, I have a file that I want to read one line at a time into a script i've written. Once I have read the line I would like to update it (in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nhatch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Command

i need to create a script that inputs information from another file using the read command. Sounds easy enough but i can't figure it out, can anyone help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Woodbird25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK : read unix command

Hi, Is there a way to have something working like the read Unix command to stop a awk ask a question and get the result. I've try system("read a") but it does not work. Thanks. Franck. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwirbel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command

'Morning vmstat 1 1|sed 1,2d|awk '{printf("%s\n",$1)}'|read var echo $var This syntax run on AIX (ksh) but not on linux (bash). I think that problem is the read command, because the following syntax is ok : vmstat 1 1|sed 1,2d|awk '{printf("%s\n",$1)}' Could someone help me! regards... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read command

Hi everyone, I have problem while writing a shell script for linux (Red Hat). First I need to create a read command. I tried to google this but so far I can't sort this out. I hope you will be able to help me. I have to read a file like this : GESTION_DATA_SET_variable1_variable2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read all files in a directory for a unix command

Hello, Below, I have a unix command, which can be executable for single file. cat input.txt | sort -k3,3 > output.txt I have 100 input files in a directory. It is hectic and time taking to run the above command for all the 100 files for 100 times. Now, I want to execute the above unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koneru_18
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with UNIX READ command usage..

Tested on : bash Will be implementing on : ksh I dont know if this is weird , or my idea of Unix stdin or stdout is completely messed up , but if I use the following command, I am getting a proper output. ls -l | head -1 | while read a ; do echo $a ;done and the output is soemthing like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help with read command

Is there a way to make the input of the read command (or some similar command that I'm unaware of) not visible, or with an astrix?? An example: #!/bin/bash # Example echo; echo "Who are you??"; read name if ; then echo "Welcome, the terminal is yours."; exit else "Stranger... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
2 Replies
SSL_rstate_string(3SSL) 					      OpenSSL						   SSL_rstate_string(3SSL)

NAME
SSL_rstate_string, SSL_rstate_string_long - get textual description of state of an SSL object during read operation SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/ssl.h> const char *SSL_rstate_string(SSL *ssl); const char *SSL_rstate_string_long(SSL *ssl); DESCRIPTION
SSL_rstate_string() returns a 2 letter string indicating the current read state of the SSL object ssl. SSL_rstate_string_long() returns a string indicating the current read state of the SSL object ssl. NOTES
When performing a read operation, the SSL/TLS engine must parse the record, consisting of header and body. When working in a blocking environment, SSL_rstate_string[_long]() should always return "RD"/"read done". This function should only seldom be needed in applications. RETURN VALUES
SSL_rstate_string() and SSL_rstate_string_long() can return the following values: "RH"/"read header" The header of the record is being evaluated. "RB"/"read body" The body of the record is being evaluated. "RD"/"read done" The record has been completely processed. "unknown"/"unknown" The read state is unknown. This should never happen. SEE ALSO
ssl(3) 1.0.0e 2001-08-23 SSL_rstate_string(3SSL)