Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert multiple lines into a file Post 302196392 by c0mrade on Sunday 18th of May 2008 05:49:41 AM
Old 05-18-2008
Era : I've closely examinded the configuration file and there are some 10 or 11 lines to be changed or modified.. and I know exactly which ones .. Although your approach is good and maybe better as well, just because I don't know how to do it I find line manipulation easier..thank you for your answer

penchal_boddu
how exactly should I use a option of sed ... is it like this
Code:
sed -a '980s/anything/anything/' filename.

if yes will this create a line if it reaches the end of the file or if the line is existing will it modify it ? Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines at specific location in file

Hi There I have this file that I would like to add entries to, however, there is a "}" as the last line that I need to keep. Basically i would like to know how I can write a script that will add new lines at the second to last line position (ie always add new line above the close bracket) ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

(sed) parsing insert statement column that crosses multiple lines

I have a file with a set of insert statements some of which have a single column value that crosses multiple lines causing the statement to fail in sql*plue. Can someone help me with a sed script to replace the new lines with chr(10)? here is an example: insert into mytable(id, field1, field2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjordan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert 2 lines in a file at a specific location

Hi, I need to insert two new lines in a file: The file: "..... ...... ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`" .... .... " I need to add the lines: LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$APACHE_HOME/modules' DOWNLOADMODULE_CONF_PATHNAME='$APACHE_HOME/conf/DWLModule.cfg' right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern

I'm attempting to insert multiple lines before a line matching a given search pattern. These lines are generated in a separate function and can either be piped in as stdout or read from a temporary file. I've been able to insert the lines from a file after the pattern using: sed -i '/pattern/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zksailor534
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split row into lines and insert file name

I have a directory with several hundred files. The file format is a space delimited row with an unknown number of columns: A B C D E F G ... I need to turn this format File1 A File1 B File2 A File3 A File3 B File3 C ... I can use grep to display the filename next to each row of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv

Hi Fellows, I have been struggling to fix an issue in csv records to compose sql statements and have been really losing sleep over it. Here is the problem: I have csv files in the following pipe-delimited format: Column1|Column2|Column3|Column4|NEWLINE Address Type|some descriptive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khayal
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert few lines above a match using sed, and within a perl file.

Greetings all, I am trying to match a string, and after that insert a few lines above that match. The string is "Version 1.0.0". I need to insert a few lines ONLY above the first match (there are many Version numbers in the file). The rest of the matches must be ignored. The lines I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraj s
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to Insert few lines which are stored in some file before a pattern in another file

Hello, I have few lines to be inserted in file_lines_to_insert. In another file final_file, I have to add lines from above file file_lines_to_insert before a particular pattern. e.g. $ cat file_lines_to_insert => contents are abc def lkj In another file final_file, before a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies