Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to use sed modify specific lines Post 302196389 by Jenny.palmy on Sunday 18th of May 2008 05:36:33 AM
Old 05-18-2008
How to use sed modify specific lines

Could anybody tell me how I can use sed to modify lines following specific lines? the file is as following:

"TEST/SI1573.lab"
3670 8920 h#
8920 9530 hh
9530 10694 ih
"TEST/DR1/FAKS0/SI2203.lab"
9730 9580 h#
9580 9840 dh
9840 10652 ix
10652 11997 r

I want to modify the first fields to 0 of the lines which follows the lines started with "TEST. The file after operation should be:
"TEST/SI1573.lab"
0 8920 h#
8920 9530 hh
9530 10694 ih
"TEST/DR1/FAKS0/SI2203.lab"
0 9580 h#
9580 9840 dh
9840 10652 ix
10652 11997 r
could anybody tell my how to do that? Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: joining specific lines

I have a .txt file containing lines like: ZAN ZAN name = AI_EVENT desc (further text) ZAN ZAN name = AI_EVENT desc ... ZAN ZAN1 name = AI_EVENT desc ... ZAN ZAN1 name = AI_EVENT desc ... WUR WUR name = AI_EVENT desc ... WUR WUR name = AI_EVENT desc ... VEN VEN name = AI_EVENT desc ... VEN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gnollish
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed one-liner to print specific lines?

I need to print specific lines from a file, say 2-5, 8, 12-15, 17, 19, 21-27. How do I achieve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - merge lines bw 2 specific characters

Hi, I have a bash script and I am looking for a command that will merge specific lines together. Sample Data: registration time = 1300890272 Id = 1 setd = 0 tagunt = 26 tagId=6, length=8, value= tagId=9, length=5, value= tagId=7, length=2, value= tagId=16, length=2, value= tagId=32,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Winsarc
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to copy specific lines from a file using shell variables?

hello! I am trying to use sed to copy specific set of lines from a file for which the starting and ending line numbers of the lines to be copied are stored in shell variables. How can i copy those lines? if the input_file is something like this and if the following is the script a=2 b=4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_ba
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding lines of specific size in files using sed

i am using sed to detect any lines that are not exactly 21. the following gives me the lines that ARE exactly 21. i want the opposite , i want the two lines that are not size 21 (shown in bold) type a.a 000008050110010201NNN 000008060810010201NNN 21212000008070110010201NNN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)