Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursive grep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursive grep Post 302196250 by Franklin52 on Saturday 17th of May 2008 10:39:16 AM
Old 05-17-2008
Try to change the field separator in your script:

Code:
OIFS=$IFS
IFS=""

# Do your stuff here

IFS=$OIFS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive GREP ?

Hi! Suppose I have a directory (no symbolic links) called /WORK that contains 3 subdirectories: /A /B /C My problem is this: I want to look for a file that contains an order number. So far, I obtain what I want by doing this /home/acb% cd /WORK/A /home/acb/WORK/A% grep '093023553' *.*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive grep output

I'm using this command to get a recursive grep find . -name *.i -exec grep 'blah blah' {} \; -exec ls {} \; now I would like to obtain just the list of the files and not also the line of the file. How should I change the syntax? thank you, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing an endless loop with recursive grep

When finding a string in files within a directory, one can use this: grep -r "searchstring" dir/subdir/ > listofoccurrences.txt For brevity sake one can enter the intended directory and use this: grep -r "searchstring" . > listofoccurrences.txt which as I found out leads to an endless loop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive grep

Hi, on AIX 6.1 , in man document for grep : -r Searches directories recursively. By default, links to directories are followed. But when I use : oracle@XXX:/appli/XXX_SCRIPTS#grep -r subject *.sh It returns nothing. However I have at least one row in a file : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky recursive removal (find with grep)

Tricky one: I want to do several things all at once to blow away a directory (rm -rf <dir>) 1) I want to find all files recursively that have a specific file extension (.ver) for example. 2) Then in that file, I want to grep for an expression ( "sp2" ) for example. 3) Then I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvsrvcs
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive Grep with replace

I have seen some useful infomation about recursive grep in one of the thread. Can it is possible to combine resursive grep and replace togather? Means I need to replace old server names in all the files with new server names as we are upgrading our applications. There are lots of files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find / grep within a file / count of a string

Hi All, This is the first time I have posted to this forum so please bear with me. Thanks also advance for any help or guidance. For a project I need to do the following. 1. There are multiple files in multiple locations so I need to find them and the location. So I had planned to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Charlie6742
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive grep with only certain types of files

Can I please have some ideas on how to do a recursive grep with certain types of files? The file types I want to use are *.c and *.java. I know this normally works with all files. grep -riI 'scanner' /home/bob/ 2>/dev/null Just not sure how to get it to work *.c and *.java files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
command(1)							   User Commands							command(1)

NAME
command - execute a simple command SYNOPSIS
command [-p] command_name [argument...] command [-v | -V] command_name DESCRIPTION
The command utility causes the shell to treat the arguments as a simple command, suppressing the shell function lookup. If the command_name is the same as the name of one of the special built-in utilities, the special properties will not occur. In every other respect, if command_name is not the name of a function, the effect of command (with no options) will be the same as omitting command. The command utility also provides information concerning how a command name will be interpreted by the shell. See -v and -V. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p Performs the command search using a default value for PATH that is guaranteed to find all of the standard utilities. -v Writes a string to standard output that indicates the path or command that will be used by the shell, in the current shell execu- tion environment to invoke command_name, but does not invoke command_name. o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, command_names including a slash character, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be written as absolute path names. o Shell functions, special built-in utilities, regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search, and shell reserved words will be written as just their names. o An alias will be written as a command line that represents its alias definition. o Otherwise, no output will be written and the exit status will reflect that the name was not found. -V Writes a string to standard output that indicates how the name given in the command_name operand will be interpreted by the shell, in the current shell execution environment, but does not invoke command_name. Although the format of this string is unspecified, it will indicate in which of the following categories command_name falls and include the information stated: o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be identified as such and include the absolute path name in the string. o Other shell functions will be identified as functions. o Aliases will be identified as aliases and their definitions will be included in the string. o Special built-in utilities will be identified as special built-in utilities. o Regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search will be identified as regular built-in utilities. o Shell reserved words will be identified as reserved words. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: argument One of the strings treated as an argument to command_name. command_name The name of a utility or a special built-in utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Making a version of cd that always prints out the new working directory exactly once cd() { command cd "$@" >/dev/null pwd } Example 2: Starting off a ``secure shell script'' in which the script avoids being spoofed by its parent IFS=' ' # The preceding value should be <space><tab><newline>. # Set IFS to its default value. unalias -a # Unset all possible aliases. # Note that unalias is escaped to prevent an alias # being used for unalias. unset -f command # Ensure command is not a user function. PATH="$(command -p getconf _CS_PATH):$PATH" # Put on a reliable PATH prefix. # ... At this point, given correct permissions on the directories called by PATH, the script has the ability to ensure that any utility it calls is the intended one. It is being very cautious because it assumes that implementation extensions may be present that would allow user func- tions to exist when it is invoked. This capability is not specified by this document, but it is not prohibited as an extension. For exam- ple, the ENV variable precedes the invocation of the script with a user startup script. Such a script could define functions to spoof the application. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of command: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the search path used during the command search, except as described under the -p option. EXIT STATUS
When the -v or -V options are specified, the following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 The command_name could not be found or an error occurred. Otherwise, the following exit values are returned: 126 The utility specified by command_name was found but could not be invoked. 127 An error occurred in the command utility or the utility specified by command_name could not be found. Otherwise, the exit status of command will be that of the simple command specified by the arguments to command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), type(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 command(1)