Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs Post 302196236 by myndcraft on Saturday 17th of May 2008 08:49:21 AM
Old 05-17-2008
String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen.

So if I run this code
Code:
find ./ -name "*.tif"

I get back these results.

.//1234567.tif
.//abcdefg.tif

Now the action from exec or xargs I want would be these two things....

ditto .//1234567.tif /some/path/1/2/3/
ditto .//abcdefg.tif /some/path/a/b/c/

So as you can see it's taking the first three characters from each found result and using those to construct a path.

Any ideas I'm sure this can be done easier in a actual script, but i need to keep this as an actual "one line" command.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between xargs and exec

Hi, I have tried both the options in small dummy scripts, but somehow i can't differentiate between the two. find . -name H* -exec ls -l {} \; find . -name H* | xargs ls -l Both work the ditto way. Any help is appreciated. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV files with xargs or -exec

Hi I need to move multiple (say 10 files) from one location to another location. My selection would be like this... ls -ltr *.arc | head ---> Need to move top 10 files with single command without iterating in loop. I know we can move files like this with find command but not sure if I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string inside files

Hi, I would like to know how to get a list of files that contain a specific string inside them. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Piping results of 'ls' to 'find' using 'xargs'

I'm trying to get a count of all the files in a series of directories on a per directory basis. Directory structure is like (but with many more files): /dir1/subdir1/file1.txt /dir1/subdir1/file2.txt /dir1/subdir2/file1.txt /dir1/subdir2/file2.txt /dir2/subdir1/file1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartynAbbott
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file with specific string inside it.

Hi , Is there any way i can find a file with specific word inside it. For example if i want to find a file which has some text written inside it. How would i form a command to search them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

7. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs vs exec with find:

Hi All, i'm trying to create a tar of all the .txt files i find in my dir . I've used xargs to acheive this but i wanted to do this with exec and looks like it only archives the last file it finds . can some one advice what's wrong here : find . -type f -name "*.txt" -print0 | xargs -0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference b/w xargs and "-exec" in Find

Hi, What is the difference between the following commands find . -type f -exec grep 'abc' {} \; and find . -type f | xargs grep 'abc' Appreciate your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec and xargs mvoe file to directory

Hello, I am trying to move all the file listed by below command to /tmp/testing directory find ./ -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime +3 I tried using -exec and xargs - none of the combination is working? Please, help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)