Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replace a newline (\n)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace a newline (\n) Post 302196189 by Yogesh Sawant on Saturday 17th of May 2008 04:45:02 AM
Old 05-17-2008
using Perl:
Code:
perl -pi -e 's/^$/NA/' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace newline character?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to prepare some text for use as web content. What is happening is that all the newlines in the textfile are ignored, so I want to be able to replace/add a few characters so that for a file containg: This is line 1. This is line two. This is line four.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoti
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with newline

Hi, for some reason I cant seem to figure this out. I have a file which looks something like this word word word word word,word,word word word word,word,word,word,word word word Basically I want this whole thing to be a list with 1 word on each line like this... word word word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace a text with a newline

Hi. How to replace a text in a file with starting from a newline example==== shashi how r u ? shashi , r u their? shashi.... shashi hello shashi output will be shashi how r u ? shashi , r u their? shashi.... shashi hello shashi ========= thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with newline

Hi all I have the problem to substitute a string with newline in Perl. Can anybody help me? And also how to replace a string with opening bracket (e.g. (START ) with a whitespace/null character? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace >< with > newline <

Hi All, I have the command in PERL for performing this, but Can you please suggest me how can i perform this using AWK: My input xml file looks like this: <aaa>hello</aaa><bbb>hai</bbb> I want the output like this ( means need new line after end of each xml tag): <aaa>hello</aaa>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HemaV
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline with comma.

I have output from a file like this: 15,01,11,14:06 235 I would like to change this to: 15,01,11,14:06,235 Removing newline and change to "," I now this can be done with tr cat OUT | tr '\n' ','' My problem is that tr is not implemented in this shell. sed is, show it should be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace newline between strings

I'm trying to figure out a way to replace newlines after a unique string is read, all the way until that string occurs again. The input file looks something like this: 02/11/11 22:48:00 This is the first line This is the second line This is the third line 02/11/11 22:49:00 This is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: acruhl
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace String With Newline

Hi, I'm struggling with a string replacement. I have an XML file which is in the following layout <FUNCTION> <PRODUCTS> <PRODUCT CODE="PRODUCE" ACTION="amend" VALIDATE="no"> <SUPPLIER PRODUCT="PRODUCT" ACTION="amend" CODE="SUPPLIER"> <STOCK_QUANTITY DATA="21"/> ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline in a string

I have a string like below: {\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}{\f1\fnil MS Sans Serif;}} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\lang2057\f0\fs16 19/11/2010 SOME DESCRIPTION. \par \lang1033\f1\par } I have to replace the newline character with null in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to replace newline with comma

Hi Experts, I need an urgent help in replacing newline characters in my single column file by a comma. I am using following command for this purpose: sed -n -e 'H;${x;s/\n/,/g;s/^,//;p;}' parameter.rtf | rev | cut -c 4- | revMy input file has: TABLE_1 TABLE_2 TABLE_3 What I need:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: neerndg123
11 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - a string-replacement utility SYNOPSIS
replace arguments DESCRIPTION
The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Note The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0. Invoke replace in one of the following ways: shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ... shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings. Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it. replace prints a message indicating which of the input files it actually modifies. If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output. replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps a and b in the given files, file1 and file2: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... replace supports the following options. o -?, -I Display a help message and exit. o -#debug_options Enable debugging. o -s Silent mode. Print less information what the program does. o -v Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does. o -V Display version information and exit. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.7 06/07/2018 REPLACE(1)