Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chm and pdf help in terminal (rename) Post 302196168 by Texasone on Friday 16th of May 2008 10:40:09 PM
Old 05-16-2008
chm and pdf help in terminal (rename)

i have a cd of pdf and chm documents that i transfered from my windows xp box. i transfered the files to my linux box (ubuntu hardy). unfortunately, i used to be a windows GUI only user so the use of spaces and "( )" and underscores. now that i use linux, ive been using CLI for using and moving/coping files. when i tried to view a .chm file, i had installed chmsee for those files, i got problems saying that the use of "(" isnt allowed. is there anyway in the terminal to use those files in such a fashion like, for example, the file "Linux file (2005).chm", and use "mv" the change the name without having to use GUI. something like this:
"mv Linux file (2005).chm Linux_file_2005.chm"
is this possible???

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read *.chm file under linux?

How can I read *chm (compiled HTML) file under linux? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading *.chm files?

I have a bunch of e-books I got but i can't open them. Can I somewhat convert them into html? I don't have an X-server yet so any GUI-programs are out of the question. Are there any programs I might have? Running Debian. Regards Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename Xterm terminal in VNC session

Hi All, We are using VNC viewer to login to remote server. Remote server is running with Red Hat linux 3.0. Our problem is, we are unable to rename xterm terminal so is there any way we can rename? Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable inputs. Regards, Bachegowda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to view .chm format files?

how can i open the .chm format files in fedora7 and rhel3,4 files? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Application to create/edit chm files

Does someone knows an application to create/edit *.chm files? Any suggestion will be much appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open a pdf file from terminal?

how to open a .pdf file from terminal not using gpdf I work on fedora 12 and default application assigned for viewing the pdf files is document-viewer (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Rename File using Terminal

I need help finding a file through terminal and then renaming it automatically. Here is what I have so far to find the file: cd /User/Applications find . */SourceM.app/banner.png | while read line; do mv "$line" banner-.png; done I want the script to rename the file "banner.png" to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbisconti97
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split and Rename files using Terminal and bin/bash

I have a file named Me_thread_spell.txt that I want to split into smaller files. I want it to be split in each place there is a ;;;. For example, blah blah blah ;;; blah bhlah hlabl awasnceuir asenduhfoijhacseiodnbfxasd;;; oabwcuhaweoir;;; This full file would be three separate files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschpers
7 Replies
EBOOK-META(1)							      calibre							     EBOOK-META(1)

NAME
ebook-meta - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
ebook-meta ebook_file [options] DESCRIPTION
Read/Write metadata from/to ebook files. Supported formats for reading metadata: azw, azw1, azw3, azw4, cbr, cbz, chm, epub, fb2, html, htmlz, imp, lit, lrf, lrx, mobi, odt, oebzip, opf, pdb, pdf, pml, pmlz, pobi, prc, rar, rb, rtf, snb, tpz, txt, txtz, updb, zip Supported formats for writing metadata: azw, azw1, azw3, azw4, epub, htmlz, lrf, mobi, pdb, pdf, prc, rtf, tpz, txtz Different file types support different kinds of metadata. If you try to set some metadata on a file type that does not support it, the metadata will be silently ignored. Whenever you pass arguments to ebook-meta that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -t, --title Set the title. -a, --authors Set the authors. Multiple authors should be separated by the & character. Author names should be in the order Firstname Lastname. --title-sort The version of the title to be used for sorting. If unspecified, and the title is specified, it will be auto-generated from the title. --author-sort String to be used when sorting by author. If unspecified, and the author(s) are specified, it will be auto-generated from the author(s). --cover Set the cover to the specified file. -c, --comments Set the ebook description. -p, --publisher Set the ebook publisher. --category Set the book category. -s, --series Set the series this ebook belongs to. -i, --index Set the index of the book in this series. -r, --rating Set the rating. Should be a number between 1 and 5. --isbn Set the ISBN of the book. --tags Set the tags for the book. Should be a comma separated list. -k, --book-producer Set the book producer. -l, --language Set the language. -d, --date Set the published date. --get-cover Get the cover from the ebook and save it at as the specified file. --to-opf Specify the name of an OPF file. The metadata will be written to the OPF file. --from-opf Read metadata from the specified OPF file and use it to set metadata in the ebook. Metadata specified on the command line will over- ride metadata read from the OPF file --lrf-bookid Set the BookID in LRF files SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> ebook-meta (calibre 0.8.51) January 2013 EBOOK-META(1)