Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script to delete directories... Post 302195744 by rubin on Thursday 15th of May 2008 09:45:46 PM
Old 05-15-2008
It did work fine for me. There's not much complexity in that command, it's just a simple find, select/sort the proper directories, ( instead of awk , a simple tail -n could have done that), and finally remove them.

Maybe you didn't do a cd first, or you might need to check your awk version. Please reread carefully O/P's requirement Smilie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need some help with a script to delete directories.

Hello, I need a hand with a script im trying to make. I have a directory /usr/db/mail with a bunch of subdirectories such as /usr/db/mail/domain1.com /usr/db/mail/domain2.com etc. etc. all of these directories in turn have sub directories of their own. What I need to do is search all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: centrino
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to delete directories...

Hi. I'm trying to write a script that will delete all directories found, that are not named as a "number" (year)... here is what i mean, let's say i have within /data/exports the following directories: /data/exports/2000 /data/exports/2001 /data/exports/2002 /data/exports/daily/2000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Script displaying Directories

I am new to shell programming and have an assignment question which requires me to list the contents of the present working directory in 4 column format and highlight any subdirectories. It then requires me to develop the shell script to accept a directory name as a positional parameter (if no... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjnd1988
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete old directories

Hi I have 10 directories.I want to delete all the dicrectories except the three recent directories based on timestamp.I am new to BASH can u help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newuser_25
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming directories with shell script

Hi All after looking around the website and various other resources I become stuck. I'm trying to rename directories from Firstname Initial Lastname to lastname,_firstname_initial so far ive got for f in {./} do rename -n 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * rename -n 's/\ /_/g' * ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlequin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete old directories

Hi, I have a requirement like, I need to create the directory with date and time stap (i.e YYYYMMDDHMS) every day end need to delete the old directories which is 12 months old. I have tested with following script cd /export/home/sbeeravo/; find . -type d -mtime +365 -exec rm -rf {} \; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShirishaReddy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to go Into Directories and Find/Delete files

I have a task, I usually do manually, but with growing responsibilities I tend to forget to do this weekly, I want to write a script that automates this, but I cant seem to work it out in my head, I have the shell of it out, but need help, and you guys have helped me with EVERY problem I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to compare directories and delete files on target server

Hello, I need help in writing the shell script for below mentioned case. There are 2 servers(server A, server B). A cronjob syncs files between these 2 servers. Existing script is copying files from A to B. This is done using the command rsync. However, the files are not deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SravaniVedam11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete sub directories with parameters

Hello, How would I write a BASH script to remove all sub directories in a root level directory that are older than 10 days, but exclude directories owned by certain users. I would need to run as a cron job once a week. Thank you -John (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbeaulau
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)