Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users trying to setup a sata drive using a sata to scsi adaptor Post 302195665 by mndavies on Thursday 15th of May 2008 04:17:49 PM
Old 05-15-2008
I am using Solaris 10

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sata support

i have a system which has two hard disks..one is sata and the other one is normal ata hard disk. i wish to install red hat enterprise linux WS(desktop edition) on my sata hard disk..but the installer shows me only my ata hard disk.. i searched the net..it says that a library-- libata will let it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux o.s on two sata's.

Hi, I have two sata hard-disks. Out of those, one is having RHEL5 operating system, and other is having fedora7 operating system. When I connect the disk with RHEL5 operating system to sata0 port and disk with fedora7 operating system to sata1 port. While booting it shows RHEL5 boot screen,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using newfs to make file system on a sata disk using Acard adaptor

Hi All: I am using an adaptor between a 1TB SATA hard drive and solaris 8 box with 68 pin scsi. I use the format utility to partition the HD which works fine but when I use newfs, I get some errors. I will place them below. I have blocked and the error message is in red. Anybody got any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies

5. Hardware

SATA drive FAT recover

I had ACER aspiron one netbook with dual bootable (Windows XP and Debian). Recently I found XP is messy and Debian has new version published. I plan to recover XP and install new version of Debian. But I failed to recover XP from Hidden Partition. I thought it is because I install GRUB in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinnud
15 Replies

6. Hardware

SPARC, SCSI -> SATA?

I'm thinking about suggesting my boss to go for sata adapter and SSD, instead of buying new SCSI drives for SPARC. out here, a brand new 70Gb SCSI drive is about 100euros, and 140Gb is 200eur! (for that price, one could probably buy the adapter.) has anyone tried it? how well do modern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Connect SATA Laptop HardDrive to Desktop SATA Slots

Hello everybody, I need to connect a laptop 2.5 SATA hard drive to a Desktop board (which uses 3.5' SATA hard drives). I've tried the connectors and they fit excellent in the 2.5 SATA connectors. The problem is that the laptop hard drive uses 5v and the PC's power source sends 12v. So, my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Question on SATA 300 vs SATA 600

I have an upgrade path in mind for a new computer that will be stocked with a 2TB SATA 300 hard disk. This is a choice based on information that SATA 300 is not necessarily faster than SATA 600. The upgrade path in a year time or so would then involve the purchase of an SSD that would contain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Sata 2 port not working

I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine. On my GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard there are two 6 Gb/s SATA ports (Marvell 9128 chip), but when I connect a hard drive to one of them, the system does not recognize it. However, when I boot from a USB install image (downloaded from here Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RychnD
1 Replies

10. Hardware

Hitachi SATA hard disk drive password locked

Hi everyone (see attachments) I bought an HP Elitebook 8460p on eBay and it came with a password-locked Hitachi hard drive which I was told is the original hard drive. I don't know the password for the drive and running the diagnostics tools I see the hard drive is healthy. I tried booting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
9 Replies
scsi(4) 							   File Formats 							   scsi(4)

NAME
scsi - configuration files for SCSI target drivers DESCRIPTION
The architecture of the Solaris SCSI subsystem distinguishes two types of device drivers: SCSI target drivers, and SCSI host adapter driv- ers. Target drivers like sd(7D) and st(7D) manage the device on the other end of the SCSI bus. Host adapter drivers manage the SCSI bus on behalf of all the devices that share it. Drivers for host adapters provide a common set of interfaces for target drivers. These interfaces comprise the Sun Common SCSI Architecture ( SCSA) which are documented as part of the Solaris DDI/DKI. See scsi_ifgetcap(9F), scsi_init_pkt(9F), and scsi_transport(9F) for further details of these, and associated routines. Depending on the interconnect (transport), SCSI target devices are either self-identifying or rely on driver.conf(4) entries to be recog- nized by the system. For self-identifying target devices the driver binding is chosen based on the IEEE-1275 like 'compatible' forms of the target devices. Currently the Fibre Channel interconnects, fcp(7D), ifp(7D), scsi_vhci(7D), sf(7D), and the SATA framework drivers (see sata(7D)) are self-identifying. You must specify other possible interconnects target devices by using the target driver driver.conf(4) con- figuration files. Self-Identifying Host adapter drivers of class scsi-self-identifying that dynamically create self-identifying target device children establish a compatible property on each child. The compatible property is an ordered array of strings, each string is a compatible form. High precedence forms are defined first. For a particular device, the highest precedence form that has an established driver alias selects the driver for the device. Driver associations to compatible forms, called aliases, are administered by way of add_drv(1M), update_drv(1M), and rem_drv(1M) utilities. The forms for self-identifying SCSI target devices are derived from the SCSI target device's INQUIRY data. A diverse set of forms is defined, allowing for flexibility in binding. From the SCSI INQUIRY data, three types of information are extracted: scsi_dtype, flag bits, and SCSI_ASCII vendor product revision. The scsi_dtype is the first component of most forms. It is represented as two hex digits. For nodes that represent embedded secondary func- tions, such as an embedded enclosure service or media changer, additional forms are generated that contain the dtype of the secondary func- tion followed by the dtype of the device in which the secondary function is embedded. For forms that use flag bits, all applicable flags are concatenated (in alphabetical order) into a single flags string. Removable media is represented by a flag. For forms that use the SCSI_ASCII INQUIRY vendor, product, and revision fields, a one-way conversion algorithm translates SCSI_ASCII to a IEEE 1275 compatible string. It is possible that a device might change the INQUIRY data it returns over time as a result of a device initialization sequence or in response to out-of-band management. A device node's compatible property is based on the INQUIRY data when the device node was created. The following forms, in high to low precedence order, are defined for SCSI target device nodes. scsiclass,DDEEFFF.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.rRRRR (1 *1&2) scsiclass,DDEE.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.rRRRR (2 *1) scsiclass,DDFFF.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.rRRRR (3 *2) scsiclass,DD.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.rRRRR(4) scsiclass,DDEEFFF.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (5 *1&2) scsiclass,DDEE.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (6 *1) scsiclass,DDFFF.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (7 *2) scsiclass,DD.vVVVVVVVV.pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP(8) scsiclass,DDEEFFF (9 *1&2) scsiclass,DDEE (10 *1) scsiclass,DDFFF (11 *2) scsiclass,DD(12) scsiclass(13) *1 only produced on a secondary function node *2 only produced on a node with flags where: v Is the letter v. Denotes the beginning of VVVVVVVV. VVVVVVVV Translated scsi_vendor: SCSI standard INQUIRY data "Vendor identification" SCSI_ASCII field (bytes 8-15). p Is the letter p. Denotes the beginning of PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP Translated scsi_product: SCSI standard INQUIRY data "Product identification" SCSI_ASCII field (bytes 16-31). r Is the letter r. Denotes the beginning of RRRR. RRRR Translated scsi_revision: SCSI standard INQUIRY data "Product revision level" SCSI_ASCII field (bytes 32-35). DD Is a two digit ASCII hexadecimal number. The value of the two digits is based one the SCSI "Peripheral device type" command set associated with the node. On a primary node this is the scsi_dtype of the primary command set; on a sec- ondary node this is the scsi_dtype associated with the embedded function command set. EE Same encoding used for DD. This form is only generated on secondary function nodes. The DD function is embedded in an EE device. FFF Concatenation, in alphabetical order, of the flag characters below. The following flag characters are defined: R Removable media: Used when scsi_rmb is set Forms using FFF are only be generated if there are applicable flag characters. Solaris might create additional compatible forms not described. These forms are for Solaris internal use only. Any additional use of these forms is discouraged. Future releases of Solaris might not produce these forms. driver.conf Configuration files for SCSI target drivers should identify the host adapter driver implicitly using the class keyword to remove any depen- dency on the particular host adapter involved. All host adapter drivers of class scsi recognize the following properties: target Integer-valued SCSI target identifier that this driver claims. lun Integer-valued SCSI logical unit number ( LUN) that this driver claims. All SCSI target driver configuration file device definitions except stub device definitions for discovery of devid must provide target and lun properties. These properties are used to construct the address part of the device name under /devices. The stub device definitions for discovery of devid must be able to specify or imply the host adapter drivers that might have children that bind to the target driver. So all SCSI target driver configuration file stub device definitions must be defined by property class or parent. The SCSI target driver configuration files shipped with Solaris have entries for LUN 0 only. For devices that support other LUNs, such as some CD changers, the system administrator can edit the driver configuration file to add entries for other LUNs. EXAMPLES
Example 1 An Example Configuration File for a SCSI Target Driver The following is an example configuration file for a SCSI target driver called toaster.conf. # # Copyright (c) 1992, by Sun Microsystems, Inc. # #ident "@(#)toaster.conf 1.2 92/05/12 SMI" name="toaster" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0; Add the following lines to sd.conf for a six- CD changer on target 3, with LUNs 0 to 5. name="sd" class="scsi" target=3 lun=1; name="sd" class="scsi" target=3 lun=2; name="sd" class="scsi" target=3 lun=3; name="sd" class="scsi" target=3 lun=4; name="sd" class="scsi" target=3 lun=5; It is not necessary to add the line for LUN 0, as it already exists in the file shipped with Solaris. Example 2 A Stub Device Definition of sd.conf The following line is a stub device definition which implies the host adapter drivers of class scsi-self-identifying might have children that bind to the sd(7D) driver: name="sd" class="scsi-self-identifying"; ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWckr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), rem_drv(1M), update_drv(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5), fcp(7D), ifp(7D), sata(7D), scsi_vhci(7D), sd(7D), sf(7D), st(7D), scsi_ifgetcap(9F), scsi_init_pkt(9F), scsi_transport(9F) Writing Device Drivers ANS X3T9.2/82-2 SMALL COMPUTER SYSTEM INTERFACE (SCSI-1) ANS X3T9.2/375D Small Computer System Interface - 2 (SCSI-2) ANS X3T10/994D SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM) IEEE 1275 SCSI Target Device Binding NOTES
With driver.conf(4) configuration, you need to ensure that the target and lun values claimed by your target driver do not conflict with existing target drivers on the system. For example, if the target is a direct access device, the standard sd.conf file usually makes sd claim it before any other driver has a chance to probe it. SunOS 5.11 30 May 2008 scsi(4)