Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl() Post 302195651 by vvaidyan on Thursday 15th of May 2008 02:55:41 PM
Old 05-15-2008
you are right!

Thanks for the help gautham... yes, if I execute the read statement one more time with the same pipe and another char array, I am able to read the next set of buffered output in the pipe. Which means that consecutive read()s does help in displaying complete output.

I am just thinking of framing a correct while / for loop for this. Let me know if something crosses your mind - a while / for loop for doing COMPLETE read().

Thanks,
Vivek

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Programming

shared memory between parent and child, when execl()

Hi, Am new to Linux internals. I want to use shared memory segment between the parent and the child processess. if i create a shared memory before fork,the child inherits the attached shared memory segments but once i call exec in the child process, all attached shared memory segments... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parent shell is waiting upon the child shell

Hi, I haev to devlop a script which when executed will take in a sudo privelege and run a set of commands then will go back to parent shell and execute the rest of the command But the problem I am facing is that when the script is executed it takes the sudo privelege but it waits for the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruchirmayank
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Timed out waiting for Autonegotiation to complete

Received the Timed out message consistently when I tried to jumpstart an M5000 with: boot jsnet:speed=1000,duplex=full - install Made the error go away by adding link-clock parameter: boot jsnet:speed=1000,duplex=full,link-clock=master - install "link-clock=master" disables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markoakley
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

AutoSys Job not waiting for script to complete

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this issue...but here goes... I am converting a set of windows jobs from Control-M to AutoSys r11.3. The same command line is being executed in both systems. The Control-M job runs to compltion in about 1.5 hours, waiting for the entire batch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajomarquez
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for a process to complete in shell script

Hi, I need to initiate a process script which will start and do some processing and then shuts down. Then i need to other verifications. But the the process takes around 25 to 3o minutes. One thing i can monitor the nohup.out file for this process where i can wait for shutting down statement to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth19
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Execl system call in a C program?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: "Your a7.c program should use printf to print a nice message. (You can decide what to say.) Then the process... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: miniviking10
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subprocess.popen() should write to log without waiting for process to complete

Here is my test code process = sp.Popen( + , bufsize=1, universal_newlines=True, stdout=sp.PIPE, stderr=sp.STDOUT, cwd=src_home) output, _ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
2 Replies
IO::Pager::Page(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					IO::Pager::Page(3)

NAME
IO::Pager::Page - Emulate IO::Page, pipe STDOUT to a pager if STDOUT is a TTY SYNOPSIS
Pipes STDOUT to a pager if STDOUT is a TTY DESCRIPTION
IO::Pager was designed to programmatically decide whether or not to point the STDOUT file handle into a pipe to program specified in the PAGER environment variable or one of a standard list of pagers. USAGE
BEGIN { use IO::Pager::Page; # use I::P::P first, just in case another module sends output to STDOUT } print<<HEREDOC; ... A bunch of text later HEREDOC If you wish to forgo the potential for a Broken Pipe foible resulting from the user exiting the pager prematurely, load IO::Pager::Page like so: use IO::Pager::Page hush=>1; SEE ALSO
IO::Page, IO::Pager, IO::Pager::Unbuffered, IO::Pager::Buffered AUTHOR
Jerrad Pierce <jpierce@cpan.org> Florent Angly <florent.angly@gmail.com> This module inspired by Monte Mitzelfelt's IO::Page 0.02 COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2003-2012 Jerrad Pierce o Thou shalt not claim ownership of unmodified materials. o Thou shalt not claim whole ownership of modified materials. o Thou shalt grant the indemnity of the provider of materials. o Thou shalt use and dispense freely without other restrictions. Or, if you prefer: This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.0 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.18.2 2012-09-04 IO::Pager::Page(3)